Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aiee?! nephew pushed in the dust cap on a speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Mar 1, 2004.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    How bad is this?

I was in the process of moving.. and actually the damage didn't come until after the move was finished. I had the speakers (2 1x12, only one was pushed) sitting in the corner and he went to investigate, etc. Only the bulbous dust cap part was messed up, the rest of the speaker [should be] fine.

I haven't plugged them in yet to see how it sounds, but I guess I'm asking.. should I expect the worse? Is this something fixable?

2. It should still work fine. You might try using some sticky tape to pull the dent back out. I've done that a time or 2 with my tweaters on my monitors and it has worked just fine.

3. Yup, good tip with the tape.

Stick a piece of tape gently onto the center of the dent, pull the tape straight away from the dustcap and the dent should pop out. Be patient, it may not work on the first try. And be gentle, you don't want to manhandle the cone or dome.

Good luck, let us know if it worked. :)

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The very same thing happened to me once, I had the grill off while I was checking the wiring on a 4x10 cab, and my son (age 4) walked over and leaned right on one of the dust covers, denting it in. Sounded fine, but looked terrible.

I tried the tape idea, it didn't work (these covers were THICK and heavy). I also tried putting a vacuum cleaner hose against it, trying to pull it out. No such luck.

I ended up punching a TINY hole in it with a bent paperclip, and used that to pull the dent out. Worked just fine, and the tiny hole left behind couldn't be seen after the grill was attached. Sounded perfect ever since.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have had luck with a shop vac, but it might have been a different kind of dent.

6. Ditto on the paperclip fix, Eric. I've successfully used that technique before (with thicker, heavier dustcaps as you mentioned).

:cool:

7. Shop Vac does good.

Chris

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Awesome thanks!

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    First you guys recommend a little tape, then more tape, then a paper clip after making a hole, then a shop vac.
    NONE of these is the way to discipline his nephew! You should be ashamed of such barbarity! I am of a mind to call Child Protective Services and report you. And I thought this was a family show!

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    And with all the money these guys just saved you, go and get a grill for it. Kids will be kids.

11. Slightly OT:

A bass player friend is having me repair a Hartke 4.5xl cabinet. Problem - at moderate to high volumes, the cabinet has a bit of "bacon frying" in the tone. I've localized the problem to one of the 10's, the surround is coming unglued from the frame.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used a Hartke 4.5 Xl for several years, and one by one, the dust covers started coming unglued from the cone, resulting in a buzzing sound not all that different from a fried voicecoil. Local tech removed and reglued covers for $10 . . . on several occassions unfortunately until all of the speakers were repaired.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    (Homer voice on)

"hmmmmmmmggllllllllghhhh, Bbbaaaaacccoonnnn."

(Homer voice off)

I once turne up to a friend's gig to find him re-ataching the surround of his speaker. He was using gaff tape :)

It got him through the gig............