1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aim audition help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thorne_92, Mar 10, 2013.

1. thorne_92

thorne_92 Banned

Mar 10, 2013
    sydney
    Hey guys first time poster, and was just looking for a hand. I recently applied to aim (Australian institute of music) and they contacted me about an audition at which I'll have to perform two contrasting pieces and have a short interview. Problem is I can't think of any songs to do that would impress them or better my chances of getting in and was just wondering f anyone had any suggestions on what I could play. Thanks in advance guys :)

2. thorne_92

thorne_92 Banned

Mar 10, 2013
    sydney
    No one has any ideas?

3. 1. Questions like this usually get a better response in the "General Instruction" thread.

2. Please fill out your profile a little more - it's much harder to give advice when we have no idea of your level of experience, musical tastes, if you've studied with a teacher, or even if you play upright or electric. Also, what's the genre of music your degree will be in? Electric performance? Jazz? Classical? Again, more details please.

Otherwise, the suggestions might range from "play something dirt simple" to "you should work up Bach's Cello Suite #1 along with the Eccles Sonata, and make sure you've got your orchestral excerpts down cold."

4. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Peaches En Regalia by Frank Zappa. Learn this song and you will impress anyone.PERIOD! FYI . . . the score is easily to find.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    What songs do you know? Do you know 2 pieces you can play with confidence?

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Play Sweet Home Alabama then take a bow you will be in no problem.

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Ask AIM. They should give you a starting point as to what their minimum required skill level is.

I've never heard of a legit school that doesn't already have a suggested list of pieces to select from, or an indicated skill level that you can play above for the audition - presuming that you have it.

8. This. The school's website should have a list of what's expected of you at an audition. If it doesn't, contact the music office or even the person who's teaching bass there and ask them.

9. thorne_92

thorne_92 Banned

Mar 10, 2013
    sydney
    Sorry probably should have given you more information. I play electric and I started taking lessons in preparation for my audition about two months ago. I'll also be going for bachelor of contemporary performance but I'm not sure if my theory is good enough so I might get into diploma and then transfer when it is good enough. I was thinking of doing the adventures of rain dance maggie but wasn't sure if that's too easy or not and if I do choose to do that then I'll just have to figure out the other piece.

10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I'd talk to someone at the school. That RHCP bass line is not impressive. It might work with the song but...

:eek: This was easy.

Auditions

Admissions

Specific Audition Information
    Auditions | Contemporary Performance

Applicants must perform two contrasting pieces on their chosen instrument.
    One of the pieces may be an original work. Drummers must perform several contrasting styles for a maximum of thirty seconds each.

Accompanists
    Will not be provided for auditions however applicants can bring their own accompanist or backing track (CD).

Equipment
    Drummers will need to bring their own cymbals, sticks and hi hat clutch. Amplifiers are provided, however applicants will need to bring their own leads.

Interview
    The audition process will include a short interview to discuss applicantsÂ’ experience in music as well as an assessment of musicianship skills.

Transcripts
    Applicants are requested to bring any certified academic transcripts of previous study, including the NSW Higher School Certificate (or equivalent) to the audition. Year 12 school leavers should provide this once it has been received.

Citizenship
    Applicants should also bring proof of citizenship (a copy of their birth certificate or passport) to their audition.