1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AIM or iChat users, please help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eublet, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Can anyone help me with either of these two. I'm using AIM for the first time on a PC, trying to do a video conference with an iChat user. It's not working, though everything I read says it should.

First, I'm not sure if I can even do an AV conference with another AIM user, so if someone here would be willing to test it out with me, I would appreciate it.

Also, has anyone successfully done an AV conference between the two? I've used Windows Live Messenger and it works well with other Live users. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Thanks.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think with AIM the other parties have to accept your vid cam or something like that. I know it's different than Yahoo IM. With Yahoo IM you can just turn on your cam and have it available for others to view. I use it all the time when I chat with my daughter in NY.

3. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yeah, we tried sending each other invites back and forth, and we accepted them, but he got an error message on his side, and I was getting a timeout on mine. He's used iChat with other iChat users before. I've never used AIM with anyone, so I am hoping to find an AIM users here that I can do a test with just to make sure AIM works, then we can boild it down to interoperability.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I remember searching for this information in the past. All I could come up with is that AIM is incompatible with iChat. I could be wrong though, but that's all I remember.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    thanks McHaven, but both Apple and AOL say they are completely compatible now, and that they should work.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wait, were you on AIM and he on iChat? I'm almost sure you have to be on the same service. That's if that was the case. If not disregard.

I can try with you when I get home this evening.

7. lowb1970

lowb1970

Feb 29, 2004
    Columbia SC

If you are on a PC and not able to VC with someone else....on any network, most of the time it is a firewall issue. You can both except all day long but if the firewall is up on the PC end this happens very frequent. If you are on Vista this could be a whole new issue. If the person you're conferencing with is a trusted source then try it with the firewall turned off and see how that works.

Hope this helps :)

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    iChat can use AIM, but I think the problem lies in the fact that one in on a Mac and the other is on a PC. I've never seen this successfully done. I experimented with it with the people in our school's administrative office. They're on PC's with a camera, and we're on Mac's with the built in cameras. Won't work. Unless someone knows something I don't know. I couldn't get it work though.

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Thanks DWBass. Yeah, he was on iChat and I'm on Aim. Texting was working fine. But I've verified on both the AIM and iChat websites that it should work...

You use AIM? If you can try it with me sometime, that would be great. At least then I could verify that AIM and my webcam are working.

10. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Thanks again everyone. I just read some on the firewall thing. I'll give that a go. And yes, I'm on Vista, and I'm reading that iChat/AIM is spotty on XP, and near impossible on Vista.