Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aimee Mann 1985, not 2005

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bearclaw, Oct 29, 2005.

1. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    I listened to Til Tuesday's debut record from 1985 last nite and cannot fathom how aggressive and groove heavy Aimee Mann was in those days. She did some nice slap patterns that are no longer part of her playing style these days. I do understand that one must evolve to a degree, but she put that aggressive angst back in the closet after this album was released. The next two Til Tuesday records were drastically different in bass approach/song-writing, plus Marcus Miller was brought in for a track or two on the third record, why?

Which brings up the age old redundant question, did she have a ghost player for the recordings? I unfortunately was too young to see them live, so I'm depending on my fellow seasoned musician friends out there for some feedback. Have any of you ever seen them live or know the history behind this incredible band? I saw Aimee live about ten years ago, she played bass on about three songs and hired another cat to fullfill the bass duties. I must say, she has a nice touch and feel for the instrument.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I dig the first Til Tuesday record. As far as I know, Aimee played all the bass on it. She was no slouch....a Berklee student at the time I believe. Throw out some of the synth pop leanings, and it is a killer album. After the first album, she seemed to get more into a singer/songwriter groove, and let her bass playing fall by the wayside.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1 it was all her on the first one as far as I know. I saw her live and even met her in NYC back as Voices Carry was on the radio. I ate dinner at a table next to her and her bf (Jules I think the cats name was). Very nice peoples, we spoke a little bass talk before I let the conversation end... They even said "Nice to meet you" as they left the place. :bassist: man did I have a crush on her :cool:

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I still have a crush on Aimee Mann. :rollno: I have all of her solo albums.

I also think she played on all of the Til Tuesday album...but have no proof, as I didn't see them back then live either. I do have a Bass Player magazine on singing where another bassist (forget who) talked about how he was blown away by her ability to sing a sweet melody while totally grooving on bass. The last two times I've seen her playing live, she didn't do any slap stuff, but of course that's not the sound of her music these days.

Marshall

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That would be Jules Shear, a very good songwriter/singer best known for writing "All Through The Night," which Cyndi Lauper had a hit with.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Aimee is a very talented cat.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That's him! Cool guy, I was jealous ;)

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've always dug Aimee Mann too!!! She no longer plays bass in her touring band, but has a killer supporting band that includes Larry Coryell's son Julian.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wow, I never knew she was a bassist! When I heard of her through Rush(and saw her in the video for Time Stand Still), I assumed she was only a singer!

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    The last two times I've seen her (once this summer, and once a couple years ago) she did play bass for a couple of tunes...but mostly stuck to guitar. :(

Marshall