Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AIMS bass amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 9, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
  2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    A guitar player friend of mine bought an old AIMS 100 watt (or so) PA head about 5 years ago. It was a solid well built amp and he tried it for guitar as well. It sounds good either way. It seemed to have plenty of power. I don't know how it would work for bass though.

As a PA head through efficient speakers it was great as a band rehearsal amp in small rooms.

If that's a dedicated bass head it should be pretty good.

I didn't know AIMS was made by Fender. I did hear that George Harrison had an AIMS guitar amp that he liked.

3. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    That was my first bass amp!! though not in orange. I have not been able to find any info on them either. I had mine for quite a few years, used it for my Taurus pedals when I got a Sunn concert for my bass. Don't even remember when I sold it. Wish I still had it now.

Keep us posted on info you find.

4. Hey, I actually just sold that last night, so it's not available anymore, it's a really good bass amp, sounds like a little SVT when pushed and a bassman when kept clean, I'd keep an eye out for one if I were you. I'll miss the little bugger.

Zach

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Years ago, a friend of mine had an AiIMS guitar amp. IIRC, the preamp circuit was very Fender and the power amp had 6550s in it. I believe that I have the schematic in my files at home.

I doubt that Fender ever owned AIMs...why would they?

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Check H/C user reviews, for info on aims amps. AIMS became the randall amp co. This head might make a cool bass amp. There suposed to be clean and super LOUD. One channel is voiced for bass, one for guitar. I have a VTG-120 4x10 combo that is awaiting a recap. If you buy this amp, give us a report.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    That amp is really interesting, I had never heard of them.

Its amazing what some research can do though. Post a review if you make the jump.