1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Air Band ad--what a joke

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MEKer, Oct 23, 2010.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I personally think Air Bands are a joke and have no respect for them. I dislike air musicians---they are not musicians. OK, they are having fun---good for them---they still suck. At least karaoke people have fun actually doing something real, whether good, mediocre or bad and so I respect their efforts. Hooray for them But Air musicians-more like airHEADS. :spit: YOMV.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/muc/2020613393.html

2. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I believe its a joke.

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    ...I don't get why you need to rant on that?

I mean, you should start practicing instead of posting on TB all day - at least you'd be doing something real, whether good, mediocre or bad.

4. MadDogM

MadDogM

Oct 20, 2010
    Buuuuurn.

5. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    I believe the OP is being sarcastic, as the alternative would be him being very stupid.

6. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    There was one as an act on America's Got Talent.

Was it a Vegas headline act?.....hell no, but I still found it hilarious and entertaining.

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    1. I guess you don't get it.
    2. You don't know what I do all day, so your comment is even more ignorant. You don't get that either.

Have a nice day, no matter what you're doing; good, mediocre or bad.:smug:

8. Wait What? You're kidding right?

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    You're absolutely right that they are not musicians - they are performance artists.

I don't think any Air performers subscribe to the notion that they are musicians, unless they also happen to play an instrument, but even then, when performing Air shows, they aren't being 'air musicians' anyway.

FYI, you need to read more and open your eyes. Air Guitar (and associated other air acts) are a worldwide, thirty-year-old form of competitive performance and make up a multimillion dollar industry. And its performance art, not musicianship...

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Is there anything to get? Posting something you think is cool (or any similar variation) but saying it's not is so yesteryear.

You could be j***ing off all day for what I care.

Maybe YOU didn't get what I was getting at either :p

I'm always doing good things, and I'm bad at that - does it make things mediocre? :ninja:

11. Looks like the trolls got hungry again.

A friendly neighborhood service announcement:
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :p

13. Rush concerts are full of them, especially air drummers! ;)

14. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    this might be the whitewolf nerd in me but air bands can be a lot of fun. It's a fanatasy thing like, fantasy football, Dungeons and dragons, or even first person shooters. It's just people having fun imagining what life would be like.

15. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    so do these guys practice their air scales and airpeggios?

16. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    That would be Air Apocalypse. They live down the block from my syth player/singer. I have yet to meet them but apparently they are nice fun loving fellas.

17. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    "Performance artists" is a bit of a stretch, too...

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    What kind of bass should you use for an air band?

Would flats work in an air band?

How do you stop neck dive on an air band bass?

Would a combo amp work in an air band?

Do you need to know theory and read music in an air band?

19. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    Oh, come on how can you be so pissed off at people who "play" AIR? Why do you care? Are they stealing your gigs? If they are, then they must better performers than you.

These "air performers", shall I call them, are just like dancers. Their instrument is their own body and they perform by using their body. The background music is just maybe little more vital in air guitaring than in dancing.

You are not running around and screaming about dancing being bad and saying that dancers should do something real.

And yes, air guitar has nothing to do with real musicianship, so why would you be pissed off at them. Get out of your little box. :scowl: Pathetic, I must say.

20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    You too, I guess.