1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Air BNB: Anybody tried this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My girl and I are looking to travel to NYC for a week in April, and we're looking to avoid staying in an expensive hotel, and are looking into the AirBNB thing instead. Have you guys heard of this? It seems really cool.

Here's the deal: people list their space as a place to stay for a few bucks a night, so you can essentially crash at somebody else's house. It's often far cheaper than a hotel, plus you get to meet new people along the way (and the renter makes a bit of cash, too). Pretty sweet!

Anybody here try it? I'm curious about people's experiences. Or even better, are there any TBers in NYC listing a spare bedroom on Air BNB? It would be sweet to crash with a fellow bassist.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No thanks. I'll spend the money on a hotel room.

-Mike

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Lifetime's rendition of the Craigslist killer and the Buffalo Bob scene of Joe Dirt ruined this for me.

Pass.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I expect the website has a rating system, where you basically are able to see reviews from other people who have stayed at the same place and see what they thought of it.

There is a similar website called couch-surfing I believe that is a similar idea, I have talked to people who have travelled the world with websites like this and a few nights in backpackers for next to nothing.

There is another good one called workaway, a bit longer term, but basically you stay at someones place for a couple of weeks in exchange for helping out around the place a few hours a day.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It does have a rating system, and it also has insurance just in case anything goes wrong. Also, you don't have to stay in an occupied place: sometimes entire apartments or houses are put up. Sometimes people sub lease their place while they are out traveling themselves. Overall it seems like a pretty good idea.

6. Seems like a pretty cool idea.

Also, are there any hostels you could use, you'd still be able to get a room for yourselves but it'd be much cheaper than a hotel. Spent a week and a half in a hostel in SD, cheap, clean and had the essentials!