air con affecting setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steviecsg, Apr 16, 2004.

1. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    for those of you living in the tropics, does bringing your bass in and out of an aircon room, or turning on the aircon of your room while you are in it and off when you're out affect the setup of your bass as in action wise?
  2. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't live in the tropics, but, believe it or not I can tell a difference in my bass if it's cold action goes up, if it's warm action goes down. Can only tell by feel though, I doubt there is any measurable difference unless there is an extreme difference in temperature.
  3. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Yo :) Fellow Singaporean here. I think it's worse here in the tropics than in temperate regions. Rather than changes in temp every year, we get it every night with the air conditioner :) I usually run my hand over the length of the the strings a couple of times before tuning up after the bass been sitting in an air conditioned room for some time.
  4. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    heya jbay gd to see you

i was wondering if leaving your basses in a constantly- non airconditioned room (since it would be too expensive to leave the aircon on 24/7) would be a better idea in the long run, rather than to have the basses subject to the changes in temperature and humidity. i'm going by the presumption that these daily changes in temp/humidity will take its toll on the bass in the long run. rather, a constant temperature/humidity would be preferable.

what do you guys think?

does putting the bass in its case instead of leaving it on its stand help?
  5. I believe temperature and humidity changes messed up the neck of my p-bass.

It sat for a while in a finished downstairs room where the humidity must have been higher than normal.

I then inadvertantly kept it next to an air conditioner that was turned on and off regularly.

The neck became so warped that truss rod adjustments alone would not save it.

Based on my experience I believe a relatively constant temperature and humidity will be better for the neck. I am by no means an expert, just an observation.

On the other hand I want to be able to use my bass so If I'm gigging in a hostile environment you bet I'm going to bring my #1 P-bass. I'm just being more careful at home now.