Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Air filters?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Any of you guys using an air filter in your shop? What brand, size, etc?

I need something to clean up the air in my garage/shop. I of course wear a filter mask when working but sometimes when I'm just sitting down drawing out a design there is still dust floating around the room. I guess that can't be avoided completely but I was hoping an air filter would help.

I also plan on buying a real dust collection system soon. My shop vac is not working too well.

2. No and I really should - it's on the short list of "gotta gets"

I do something sort of as a stop-gap measure. I've taken the dust filters out of the vacuums I use under my saws, drills, and sanders and replaced them with mesh strainers. Then I ran the exhaust hoses from the motors to ports I made through the floor under the building. Now all of the dust is exhausted under the shop and not into the work area but the bigger stuff stays in the canister. It helps some but I still wear my NIOSH mask for all sanding and routing.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Another interesting tip from our distinguished President Fixer!
    Now, all I need is to remember this for 8 months, 'til I get my shop up...

Or (and!) vouch for a restoration of the Tips'n'tricks sticky!

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    An air filter makes a pretty significant difference. For most small shops, you can get a $200-300 air filter that will turn over the air in your shop pretty quickly. Unless you want to leave the mask on the whole time you're in the shop, you need that filter so you can take of the mask and relax.

This is the one I use:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000302XS/103-3274923-2343805?v=glance

It's a pretty decent machine.

5. Hey, we could do what the car painters do and just spray the shop down with water when we sand or rout! That would do the same thing, wouldn't it? :bag:

6. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    I use a Shop-Vac brand air filter when I sand. Cost me about $160CDN, but worth it.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Creativity is flowing! :D

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    On a side note. What face masks are you guys using? Got links I better get one......t