Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

air grinding my pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Dec 5, 2003.

1. so, i have this project, right. im takin a essex spb-57 and revampin all the electronics and stuff. so i bought this black pickguard, b/c it looks cool with sunburst.(at least to me :D )
    so anywho, i took off the white one, and tried to put on the black one. gasp, it doesnt fit around the neck. the groove or notch or whatever is smaller. so on a whim, i took my dads air grinder, traced the neck groove from the original pickgaurd onto the black one, (it was taped off, of course) and proceeded to grind it down. well, turns out this seems to work fine. also, with essex basses, it seems the screw holes arent the same, so the next step is drill press. after that, its on to soldering all the parts together. inncidently, im usin all vintage stuff. bridge, pickups, wiring. im leavin the tuning heads one tho, b/c there're so expensive. (im a freshman in highschool, you see, so im almost as poor as a college student.:bawl: ) well, just wanted to share that odd bit of information with you, that it is possible to custom shape a pickgaurd with an air grinder. (thank god for power tools:D

rock on :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What brand was the pickguard?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can't be too poor if you can replace most of the parts on your brand new bass;)

4. mmmm, power tools. :D

PIX AND CLIPZ! Y00!!