Air Moving Cab recommendation??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidaaron, Feb 15, 2001.

1. davidaaron

Jan 22, 2001
    I play a 5 string Millenium Plus (love the bass). My amp is an Ashdown abm500 evo and the cab is a GoliathIII.

All very good, but I would like another cab, not for added volumn (which I have more that I will ever need) but a nice smooth air mover (15 inch speaker or larger) for the B string.

I know, when is enough enough, and more equipment won't make me play any better.

Anyway, I have looked at all the major cab companies that I can think of (swr, ampeg etc..) and have looked at what they have to offer and noticed that very few cabs are specified down to 27.5 hz (B string territory from what I understand).

I know specs aren't everything, so I was wondering if any of you "5-stringers" are using these larger speaker cabs and which one would you recommend to augment my 4x10 swr G3.

2. Man I was under the impression that bigger speaker and frequency range meant everything. I ditched all those notions and started to actually just listen to different cabs. I just bought an Aguilar GS 410 yesterday. This cab for instance lists only +/- 3db at 40Hz but I A/Bed it against an Eden 410XLT and the AGuilar had a lot more rounder and tighter boom to it. A lot of those spec sheets can be deceiving. A cab will list a frequency down to 31HZ but It'll be -6Db, and from what I understand that isn't very good. The best way to judge is to go plug and listen and ignore the sometimes truth distorting spec sheets in favor of your ears.

PS If you are just using the cab for bedroom use it may not make a big difference as opposed to a live situation with drums and Marshalls and such.
  3. My advice would be: don't look at the specs too much. To my knowledge only Bag End ELF system subwoofers go as gar down as 27.5 Hz (by the way, a low B is 30.9 Hz). But they have built-in 600W (dedicated to the sub octave only) power amps. That's a lot. It would be nice to go that low, but it is far from necessary. Should you really want that low end, Acme cabs are the way to go, but prepare to buy a 5 times stronger amp.

The proper way for you to get that earth shaking low, would (IMO) be to get a 1x18 to go WITH the existing cab, so you don't loose the mid and high freqs.

Try out some 1x18s in a BIG store or other BIG room, as 18's tend to sound very bad in tight spaces. Low end is nice, too much low end is annoying. So don't try one out in a test cabin that most stores have.

My 2 cents.
  4. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I know this contradicts everything I know but someone who learns physics once told me the human ear can't even notice notes under 100Hz...

does this solve your problem?
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Oh but you can, a healthy human ear can at least hear down to 20 Hz.
  6. SWR BIG Ben, I think that's the one....
    Single 18" driver, "and tight as a....let's just skip that part" it should match your Goliath too....
  7. davidaaron

Jan 22, 2001
    Thanks christos, I think that is close to what I am looking for. I will find a place to play it to make sure.

Now, a technical question. If I were to run the gIII and the Big Ben at one time, should I take the sub out (output with freq filter) of the ashdown abm500 and then use a separate power amp to go to the Big Ben, or should I run the one powered out to the GIII and the other powered out to the Big Ben or something else.

I guess the jist of the question is worrying about interference. I am not an expert, but in home hifi, the best sounding subs usually are part of a crossover network so the lows out of the main speakers do not interfere with the lows out of the subs. Should I worry about this in the bass setup?

8. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    No 4 x 10 will do what you want. Go for something with an 18" Bagend and you will feel the air move.

To me, this has always been one of the most awesome aspects of bass playing, not only can you hear it, with the right drivers, you can feel it tugging at your guts and shaking your pant legs. God, I love it.