Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Air Travel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ADeepShadeOfBlu, Apr 11, 2004.

1. ADeepShadeOfBlu

ADeepShadeOfBlu

Mar 1, 2004
    Am going to travel from London to Berlin for a gig and will probably be flying on a "low cost, no frills" air line. Have read Rufus Reid's advice about it having it's own seat and standing it on its head but this may not be practical. Is it time to buy a hardcase and pray for gentle baggage handlers?

Discuss.

2. There is an excellent article on flying with a bass in the Spring 2004 (#28) issue of the Double Bassist. Things have changed a lot since 9/11 and there is lots of information in the article that could benefit you. Double Bassist

3. I have never flown with my bass, so you may take this for what it's worth - my information is second hand and anecdotal. I think the shpiel in Rufus's book is from the 70's, and as Bob says everything is more complicated since 9-11. I'm pretty sure you are no longer allowed to carry on anything that won't fit in the overhead compartment. As for gentle baggage handlers, I'd put them in the same category as jumbo shrimp and military intelligence.

You may be better off renting or borrowing a bass in Berlin if possible, especially if it's for just one gig. There is also a new "half bass" I believe made by David Gage which breaks down into a size that you could carry on.

If you do wind up taking your own, there is a good rant on Todd Coolman's website about flying with a bass. While it was written before 9-11, he does make valid suggestions about dealing with airline people.

Good Luck!

4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I often fly with those "low cost airlines", and since they are so cheap, i thought about buying one or two extra tickets and just travel with my bass, i talked with somebody from the company and they say i wasnt allowed to carry something so big, anyway, whenever you talk with different people, you get different answers and nobody really seems to know for sure .... but i wouldnt risk because as we all know, airports security were never so strict, you might just end up loosing your flight 'cause they wont allow you to carry your instrument.
    I would advise you to borrow or rent a bass, Berlin is a pretty big town and im sure yo will find one
    good luck

NUNO