1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Airbrush much?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I just had my ancient Badger 150 & funky Italian-made compressor returned to me after a few years borrowed. I got the thing in the 80's, one of several *do something you like instead of getting a 'real' job* schemes of mine. I'll definitely spray some models(aircraft, armor, etc)& maybe a bicycle frame or three- but my main question is what's a good reference source for currently-used stuff? The comp needs parts & I may want a new brush.

2. Thought this thread was gonna be about the recent Lindsey Lohan Playboy spread...

I am disappoint.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Reminds me, that issue is sitting on my coffee table. I should make certain I pick it up along with some of my belongings today. Who knows how much I may need it.

4. Yeah, for the articles of course... :D

5. Hmmm- well, I hear there are nekkid wimmen on the innernetz. Try there. ;)

ON topic, I am cleaning the exterior of the compressor & finding almost no ID marks. I did find a new airbrush needle stashed in it- great as I think I need one.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Surprisingly, Playboy does offer some pretty good articles.
    Though Lindsay's butt isnt quite as nice as my wife's it should do in helping me move on.

7. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I airbrush 2-3 times a week, being an avid model builder I find it's an essential tool for base coats of paint and certain weathering techniques. I use an Iwata HP-C, which is a double action (controls amount of paint and airflow) gravity feed type along with a Binks Raven compressor. The other essential component is a good well lit and ventilated spray booth, I have one built into my downstairs hobby area, I regularly spray laquers etc with no fumes getting to the rest of the house, plus you get really pro results.

These were painted and weathered using my set up.

trainsII036.

8. Nice, TBird(if I may call you TBird ;))!
    I vaguely recall seeing you were into model trains. Thanks for the info- I'll likely pick your brain a bit in the future. On that note, is there such a thing as a TB-esque* airbrush forum/community/whatever that you know of?

*even just a little bit TB-esque; I know there's NOTHING really *like* TB(especially OT).
    :D

9. TBird1958

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    There probably is such a forum, but likely you'll find there are some that are devoted to your specific interests as well. There really isn't a substitue for practicle experience tho, knowing your paints characteristics and going forth thru trial and err work best.
    This model started out a very glossy brown for application of the waterslide decals, a sucession of matte finish and several thinned out colors gives you a well weathered model.

My girlie name is Veronica, here on the forum those who know call me Mark

trainsIII069.

10. I am not awful w/regard to technique- my main aim here is getting my equipment running nicely. The comp had a small filter on the air intake- a wierd little rubber thing w/an element made of what appeared to be tiny copper(brass?)balls, compressed into a shape that nesteled into the rubber holder. Air would pass through this, into the unit itself. That broke years ago, & I fabbed a paper towel thingie so that at least very little dust would enter the thing. I am not really sure exactly what that copper thing filtered out- it worked fine w/the paper towel setup, but I'd like to replace the original piece if possible. I have some leads- your thoughts?

11. TBird1958

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Probably a filter or possible moisture trap, tho they are usually on the output side of a compressor and will have a drain of some kind on them -Italian design tho! The Binks that I have has served well for at least 15 yrs, it may be time for a new one!

12. Yeah, it's funky. There is a moisture trap on the output, so it's hard to say what the flip this thing is/was.

13. Hahahah yeah it looks nothing like her.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Great work, Mark! I stopped modeling several years ago because scalpels/Exacto blades and finger-style playing didn't go together. I still buy kits, though! Mark's Iwata is a great brush and I am looking at one myself for the future. I was a die-hard Paasche double-action user and made the transition to the Testor's Aztec system. I got great results with both. I could swear I had a funky Italian-made compressor back in the 80s too. My biggest headache was bending needles. I would inevitably stab myself with them or drop them while cleaning.

15. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Nice train!

I built model airplanes or a while, had maybe 2 or 3 different airbrushes....I've heard the name Badger 150 quite a few times, and from what I remember, they're decent airbrushes. You should go czech out Fine Scale Modeler. Lots of reviews on various plastic/ styrene models, paints, airbrushes, techniques, etc...

It also seems they have a forum on their website (finescale.com).

16. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have had a subscription to FineScale Modeler for years, and their coverage of basic techniques in the past few years has been great.

17. I'll check FSM out. I grab an issue here & there for bathroom reading. I also will use this as much for models as anything. I recently broke open an Italeri M1A1 I got last Father's Day- started painting right before getting the airbrush back. :D

18. Well, cool- my boss told me that the copper(or whatever)intake filter on the compressor was simply that- a filter, & the copper construction served no other special purpose. I will get by w/a jury-rigged filter & squirt away. I'll still look into figuring out the manufacturer as well as routine maintenence- oil level, draining the tank, etc.