1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

airbus in crosswinds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by marcray, Mar 3, 2008.

1. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
  2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    That video is awesome. I bet that's the most fun that pilot's had all year.

3. That pilot deserves to have an entire airport named after him.

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Those were some really lucky people. The pilot should have aborted that landing WAY before he got into that situation.

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    The pilot should be commended for saving it like that! He did a hell of a job!

He should also be slapped in the back of the fuggin head really hard for even trying to land in that kinda wind.

COWBOY.

Cute in cigarette ads, bad to have in the cockpit.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    looks like me going down the highway on my little Ninja motorcycle... the winds here have been wild.. and this is just San Antonio...

I have been in a Cessna landing in crosswinds like that.... FARKING SCARY!!!

7. Is it not possible that the tower instructed him to try and land under those conditions? I ask because I don't know what kind of discretionary power a pilot has.

8. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    He knew WAY before he tried to touch down that the crosswind exceeded the capability of the aircraft. He also demonstrated poor crosswind landing technique as he transitioned from crab to touchdown. He needed to lower the upwind wing and plant the right main wheel during the flair to touchdown. He didn't and that is why the upwind (right) wing lifted up and caused the aircraft to
    depart the runway.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    He must be an ex navy pilot.

If you can walk away from it, then it's a good landing!

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    The tower clears a pilot to land, meaning the runway 'should' be clear and it is his turn to land. It is up to the pilot to determine if it is safe to land. At the pilots discretion he can abort the landing at any time and 'go around' as it is called. Every runway has a go around procedure already in place; it happens all the time.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've never seen a plane approach with that much crab. That was way too much crosswind.

Hong Kong has had lots of hairy-looking crosswind landings. Take a look on YouTube.

12. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    this was in the news today, the plane had a problem so the pilot wanted to land as soon as possible. the tower sent him to the runway with the most wind:meh:

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    :D

True, but airlines tend to have a stricter view. ;)

14. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Best landing I ever saw was a Citabria (ain't no A300) in a gusting 30 kt left crosswind. The guy bounced once, but had the plane under control the whole time, and managed to make a right turn off against the crosswind.

The pilots of this plane though are probably in for some remedial training. It's easy to say the pilots should be fired, but it takes quite a bit of money for the airline to train a pilot not only in piloting the aircraft, but in the rules and procedures of the individual company, and like it or not, nobody's perfect.

15. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Think I'm going to have to show this to the next guy who asks me why I like to jump out of "perfectly good planes." That was nuts.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

awesome!!!

17. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Actually, it seems like an airline pilot is the last job someone with a type A personality would want to take these days. As someone who was going to enter the industry as a pilot, I originally thought that being a pilot was all about the stick skills, prestige, and all the other good things, but I found out later, especially with the advent of autopilots, the way pilots are promoted, crew resource management, etc., that type A/B personalities, favoring the B side, would be suited toward being airline pilots. There are dangers with personality traits swinging too either way in terms of pilots, but that's just my amateur analysis so far.

18. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    the plane itself can handle that much crosswind... if you look on the video sites you'll see demonstrations of exactly how much a plane can take and land safely... the vid for the new Airbus 380 is pretty amazing considering it's size...

The pilot here seems to have done a text book landing, but got caught with some wind that kept the right wing in the air too long, so the skidding, not his fault... the take off however and re-landing were certainly brave and all those people are safe due to that guy, so kudos...

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Check out this landing. :)