Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Airplane Makes Dramatic Emergency Landing In LA (safely)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jazzin', Sep 21, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Did anyone see this live on CNN? I followed it from an hour before it landed until it landed. It was pretty crazy, all the experts were thinking (as the best case scenario) that the front landing gear would break off and the plane would have its front scraping the runway, luckily that was not the case even though that wouldn't have been too bad either. So the plane just landed pretty best. Everything turned out really good, no one was hurt, no fires, only real damage was on the faulty front landing gear.

-Passenger says it was the smoothest landing she ever experienced.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/21/airliner.emergency.ap/index.html
    at www.cnn.com, you can watch the video, i have to admit, it's a really cool video.

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The downside with a broken nosegear is that it would take a hell of a lot of power to taxi to the gate. :p

Seriously though, the drive did a good job of holding the nose off until the last minute. Very bizarre for a nose gear to twist like that. If you were going to pick a landing gear to wanky like that, you'd want it to be the nose because your mains have the brakes and you maintaing better directional control of the decelerating airplane.

Enpensive noises.

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    cool video! no death or injuries, no hull damage at the plane, good pilots who saves the day! i thougth that the front landing gear would break right off, but it didnt! execellent that everyone is ok!

4. That's crazy....Cool there were no injured or death persons....

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I saw it live also. Cool. My father was in a plane that had to do a nose-down scraping landing in the 60's/70's when the nose gear wouldn't go down. I was thinking of his story when watching the event unfold. Even if the gear had failed the chances of anyone being hurt in thsi situation would have been extremely remote.

6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    thats really weird... but cool at the same time

8. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    wow, that is insane./

Glad no one got hurt, it could have been worse.

Now lets wait for the next insane thing!

9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I can't wait for the TV movie. :hyper:

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I watched it live too. I swear that looked like a better landing than some I've had on planes with all functioning landing gear!