Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AIRPLANES!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Who here has an interest in aircraft? Me personally, my most passionate love for aircraft stems from the WW2 generation of German warplanes. Reason? Engineering.

Hopefully this will be a successful thread.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    There is one here! Air Force brat, dad flew the F-86 and F-80 in the early to late 50's. So, I've been around planes all my life. I work in commercial aviation. Love warbirds! The German planes of WW2 were well engineered. They definitely had a technology advantage,but as the Battle of Britian proved,you can't defeat a determined,free society.My personal faves are the Spitfire Mk IV,Mosquito,and the early P-51's.There are a few hawks in the music arena, but they usually don't speak up!

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have an interest in modern aircraft.

4. Yeah. I know they don't.

And, I don't think it was about free society so much as it was military blunder on the part of the Germans. However, a free society indelibly creates quite an incentive for many.

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My brother throws up on airplanes. Does that count?

6. i love airplanes!
    My favorite is the p-38, and its really great for me because i am going to college in Superior, Wisconsin, and as every history buff should know, Richard Bong's p-38 is there! Richard Bong is still the US top ace of all time, after almost 50 years...i am just going to sit there and stare at it all day!

i also try to go to EAA Airventure in Oshkosh whenever i can. Airventure, for anyone that doesn't know, is the world's lasrgest fly-in, with people (and airplanes) coming in from 6 continents!

yeah, airplanes are definatly where its at!

Charlie

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have always had a passion for WWII German engineering! My first love is armor, but German aircraft come in a close second. There was supposed to be a restored HE-111 traveling with one of the last flying B-24s that was to be on show at Buchanan airfield two years ago, but it never made it. Me 109s, BF 109s and FW 190s were very sleek aircraft. And, of course, the engines were BMW designs. Did you know that the BMW logo is a pop art representation of a propeller? Everyone loves the ME 262, don't they? A big old explosive led sled blasting off after B-17 flights. And, the diminutive ME-163. What a design!
    My first real love was the JU-87 Stuka! Especially the tank buster design with the 20mm cannon under each wing! You have got to love spatted undercarriage! How about the Dornier Arrow? Pull and pusher props on one frame! Brilliant! I could go on for days, but I will stop now.

8. Ah, yes! I know all of what you are speaking of. As a child I lived on aircraft encyclopedias...I still have them all.

And I am proud to say that I, too, was first enthused by the Ju-87 series. It is by far, to me, the most interesting piece of forward artillery in existance! Not to mention one of the most technologically advanced aircraft of the war. And guess what! I have a 1:18 scale replica of one hanging down right on top of me!

9. hey mine too! ever since i first saw it in one of my very first books, "Cars and trucks and things that go" by richard scarry. (yes i was a year old and i remember that book. i read it at least 4 times a day! but don't worry, i wasn't that smart, it was more of a picture book :D ) i've been into planes ever since.
    yes the ME 262. that thing could really go. i remember one of my airplane books with a quote from a B-17 crewman who said,"good thing Hitler wanted [the me 262] as a bomber, if it were a fighter, our entire bomber group could have held a reunion in a phonebooth!"
    formidible indeed!
    but it was still no P-38. The first American fighter to break 400 in level flight, the first fight to have two engines, and also the first fighter to have a cannon mounted on it!
    also the first fighter to really look cool!

Charlie

10. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Jabos! Does it fly? Is it a static model? Did you grow up in Lafayette?

11. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hey! I had that book! I just got a copy for my three year-old and it really brings back memories! Kelly Johnson did a marvelous job of design on the P-38. My favorite U.S. airframe was the P-47. A flying tank! Thunderbolts, well. . . they're just sooooo cool.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Flying is my second obsession next to music. I have my private license and have stick time in some interesting aircraft: Bucker Jungman, Grumman Goose, Ford Trimotor, Waco UIC Cabin Biplane, Harvard Mk IV, DC3, Twin Otter, B737, A340, FH-227, Citabria. Legally checked out on Cessna 152, 172, Cherokee 140 and Katana C1. Tried aerobatics, float flying, parachuting and soaring. Been called a propeller head.

Unfortunately, don't fly anymore due to high cost of flying. :crying:

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Watch it tiger, let the exhaust pipes cool if the plane has been in the air.

14. It is a static model. Extremely detailed...it is one of 21st Century Toys' products...and might I say, it is rather splendid. Beautiful indeed, a collector's piece!

Have a look...

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/vehicles_folder/21stC_1-18_vehicles/10129s1.html

Ah, and yes, I have lived here my whole life.

15. Bombing civillian targets generally isn't a good thing, as bombing Nurenburg and other cities didn't shorten the war.

Richard Bong's story is a really interesting one. If you're an aviation enthusiast and don't know about him do a search.

Have you seen the restoration of the "Glacier Girl" P-38? Sweet.

There's also a flying Me262 reproduction around. That's a cool looking airplane.

There was an air show around here last year, and there was a P-51 and an F-16 flying in tight formation. That was way cool. You know that P-51 was going full balls out and that F-16 was going as slow as it possibly could without stalling! :D

WWII bomber crewmen get all the respect in the world from me. That had to have been one of the scariest things you could possibly imagine, and just the cold alone would have been hell, imagine enemy aircraft and AA artillery. Pure Terror.

16. Pure indeed.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I love airplanes. I've always had a special affinity for those that defeated the well-engineered German aircraft of WWII. ;)

I love air shows, and WTH, even watching planes take off and land. When I fly commercially, I always ask for a window seat because I like to look out on the earth below and figure out where we are. I have a sizeable collection of books on aircraft (several by Walter Boyne) and aviation.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm a bit of an aviation buff too. I especially love the WWII vintage stuff.

I too love the P-38. Very sinister looking. The Germans called them "The Fork Tailed Devils".

My mom worked at Lockeed during WWII and she rivited the aluminum skins on to the tails on the P-38. My brothers father in law was a p-38 pilot in WWII. He was full of great stories. He did mostly ground attack stuff during his tour.

He had a few dog fights but never was credited with full kill. He was credited with a Half a kill on a Me109. He did kill a lot of trains though.

He used to tease my mom and say they always had problems with the tails falling apart.

P-51's are always a favorite of mine but I also liked the Hawker Typhoon and Tepest and the Hawker Sea Fury. The FW190 very cool little plane too.

19. [​IMG]

Nothing scarier to its prey. Dubbed "the shrieking vulture" due to its exposed landing gear and the whirring sirens on it.

Fact: the sirens attached to its landing gear prevented anti-aircraft batteries from firing at it while the stuka came their way. they were too busy running.

Fact: when the dive brakes were extended, a computer automatically put the aircraft into a correct turn-and-dive, putting the plane on target every time. when the bomb was released, the aircraft automatically pulled itself out of the dive via computer, as the G-forces were much too strenuous for the pilot to do this himself...he was unconscious during the last moments of the dive.