Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Airtight Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Aug 23, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    In building cabinets, you want it airtight except of course the ports, what do you use for the jack that would be airtight? I want to use 1/4 inch jacks,(but I am willing to change to something else), how do I make them airtight or won't it make a difference?

2. Speakons are air tight.

The alternative is a small air tight subchamber inside the cabinet just large enough to accept the jack assembly. The wires go through the sub chamber, and are sealed with RTV.

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    When I find a cab that makes pfffty noises through the 1/4" jacks at high volumes, I plug them up with rubber stopper (that you can get at the mega hardware stores), or use those yellow foam earplugs (such as EAR).

Nightbass

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    That is sort of what I guessed, but the speakons are a great idea. I think I will go that route.

I need to install a crossover to protect the speakers. How do I select it? I want to limit the frequency to above 53 hz. I am guessing it goes in line between the positve wire input and the positive speaker terminal?

5. I'm sorry, but a 53 Hz high pass between an amplifier output and a speaker input is impossible. It would require a coil of about 10 lbs and worth $150, and a capacitor the size of a small car battery and a price to go with it!!!!!

In other words: you need to install the low frequency protection in the amplifier INPUT SIGNAL.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    :rolleyes:
    And if I don't do this what will happen to my speakers? I can run in biamp mode(it is a Carvin R600), but my amp starts to split the signal at 200 hz and goes up from there. While I realize this will work just fine, I really want to get everything I can out of these speakers as I believe they will kick ass down to around 50 hz. If I tune the box for a lower freqeuncy I don't like what it does to the spl. Any suggestions?

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Bizzaro, check out my posts in the thread on Eden 215 XLT cabinet at: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6399&perpage=20&pagenumber=2.

An excerpt from my post date stamped 03-23-2001 04:21 AM: "Regarding my set-up, I decided that I really wanted more of the punchy mid presence in my rig that my Carvin 2x10 is quite adept at providing. Problem is, to run both the Carvin 2x10 and the Eden 2x15 full-range means the Carvin gets all the extreme lows which, at high power, is not good. The cones seem like they want to fly through the grille (in fact, I did damage one of the drivers before). However, I did not want to run my Carvin head bi-amped, because it just takes too much away from the midrange signal to the Eden. The "punchiness" I was looking for means strong output between about 300-500 Hz. I decided to put a homemade high-pass filter (simply a capacitor pair equivalent to .0069 micro-Farad) between the pre-amp send and power amp return loop of the "high" channel (Ch.2) of the head. This solved the problem. With some EQ tweaking, I'm now running both speakers full range (but with the lows rolled off to the 2x10, courtesy of my filter), and it's superb!"

Maybe this is the kind of thing you're looking for. A simple, first-order filter of the type I described might not quite do it for you, though. You might need to get something else. You can also try sliding your graphic EQ way down on the bottom frequency bands.
    - Mike

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Sounds great and just what I am looking for. But I am afraid beyond my abilities at this point in time. For now and I am just going to put together a cab for a 2x12 and run biamped. I will try it full range and see how they handle the lows. My guess is that it will be better than the cyclops. That cab really doesn't have alot going on. I will still run the 15 with the 2x12---unless it sounds better without it. Thanks for the lead to the past thread. Lots of good info.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Hey I got a bunch of those. Only I stick them in my ears to protect my hearing from the deaf guitar players in my band. Actually I use Sonic II's. But I keep a bunch of the foam ones handy just in case. I was thinking more along the lines of how the leak would affect the cone response? Hardly at all? Enough to worry about or not?

10. Bizarro, just a loose thought, but what do the large cone movements look like? Is it like a blur (fast movements) or are they more like waving around with the movement clearly visible with the human eye? If the latter is true, then your amp is severely clipping, and nothing can and will protect your speakers against that.

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    You're welcome for the info. Coincidentally, Rickbass1 just e-mailed me about similar problems he's having with his Carvin Cyclops. You might wish to e-mail him for the scoop. Maybe you should start a new thread, and hope that he joins us. He's disappointed in his Cyclops 15" bottoming out when he drives it hard and low. I don't have the Cyclops - but go ahead and start a new thread (the discussion has veered from the topic of this thread).
    - Mike

12. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Maybe try a rubber washer-type thingy on the end of the 1/4" cord.