AJ Presentation on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Aug 17, 2003.

1. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    So how much is half of retail?
  2. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Two observations. 1=low feedback rating, 2=recently changed user ID, Also personally I would not want a bass that has no controls on it at least a volume pot. On a side note isn't it ironic that this signature model has such an ideal string spacing for slap? This from a guy who notoriously snubs slapping.:meh:
  3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Also, all feedback seems to indicate this is his first "sale" (seems all the feedback is as a buyer), and the one auction still visible is a non-music item. These could also be Red Flags.:meh:

As far as the string spacing: AJ likes conventional (i.e. 4-string) spacing on his 6 strings (as do I). It has absolutely nothing to do with "slapping". :rolleyes:
  4. I think the no controls looks cool...but,I hate single cuts.
  5. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    I stand corrected Phat Bastard. It's just my personal preference that when I play fingerstyle close string spacing is not an issue, But when I slap it becomes of paramount importance. Maybe it's my sloppy technique. That said i'm going to practice.
  6. It's possible that it's shady, but that is one pretty bass!
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AJ has long been a proponent of wide spacing. Like PB said, it has nothing to do with slapping. OTOH if you do slap and like wide spacing (I do) it'll probably work well. The 28 frets might be an issue. My Contrabass (24 fret) is the widest spacing I own and it is indeed easy to slap. The 36" scale seems to be a problem for some... including Anthony, now.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe $5000. See below:D
  9. Exactly what is the issue? That the bass is a copy? I doubt it. It seems and looks way to good to be a copy (but what do I know). And in any case, if it were a copy, it appears to be a very good one that would make a great bass in any situation. 15 feedback is low, but not one to raise a red flag at, the fact that the only auctions that show whether it was a buy or sell are listed as buys does raise a little uncertainty. My suggestion would be to e-mail the guy very nicely, and tell him that you are greatly considering bidding, but since there are many variables to this and that $3500 is a lot to risk, that you would like to get a hold of him over the phone. Most will not argue and be glad to call since they do want to sell their stuff.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    There should be a rule saying that the word "rare" can't be applied to instruments still in production...
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Notonly does he nothave much feedback, but he already has a negative! I wouldnt do it, really, it lloooks shady.
  12. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok, it´s official: I don´t like single cut basses (ugly!!!):eek: :meh:
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would love that bass. The problem is I wouldn't even pay half of the list price for a bass with one pickup and no electronics. Great bass though.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

betsy heard that! :mad:
  15. Ditto:)
  16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Originally posted by CaracasBass
    Ok, it´s official: I don´t like single cut basses (ugly!!!)

If you were to play two basses that were identical in every way, except for one being a single cut and one being a double cut, you'd definately understand the benefits of a single cut. That may not get you past the looks though.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I will definitely have to exercise restraint in order to NOT acquire that bass! Man...:D
  18. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You guys are paranoid! :)

So what if it's the first bass he has sold on Ebay? I would be more concerned if someone is selling his 50th high-end bass...

And "no controls" is an excellent idea. I would do that mod if I had a quality bass with single PU.
  19. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I unfortunately have a negative on my ebay account, and 17 positives. I made a mistake, certainly doesn't mean I am shady....