Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aj*'s Christmas 6 String Showdown

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aj*, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Used Peavey Cirrus 6 String

38.2%
  2. Used Conklin GTBD-7

17.1%
  3. Used Yamaha TRB-II

13.2%
  4. New/Used Yamaha TRB-1006

9.2%
  5. New/Used Ibanez BTB-556MP (Could be upgraded)

2.6%
  6. New Brice Prestige Z Bass Neck Through (Would be upgraded)

6.6%
  7. Used Warwick Corvette 6

9.2%
  8. Other

3.9%
  1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Right, after months of running around in circles, I have finally decided to consult the TB elders for this challenge, a great 6 string in the mid-price catergory. I'd say I have a budget of around £600 (I can save more if I have to). For all you American folk, make that around $1,000 (say an upper limit of $1200).

So, here's what I'm looking for:

A tonally flexible bass, should be at home in both my jazz group, concert band and my rock/funk band.

A tight B string (this is why several of my shortlist include 35" scale)

I'm not too fussed about neck through vs bolt on but neck through is always nice to have.

I have fairly long, thin fingers (pianists fingers) and can wield a broad neck warwick 6er so wide spacing is not a problem. I'd prefer something that wouldn't be too difficult to slap on (by my measurements, my current four string is actually quite tight spacing, about 17-18mm so my technique is quite accurate). I just don't want anything ultra narrow spacing wise.

I don't mind modifying basses myself, I know some on this list I would want to upgrade (mainly electronics).

I'm not too bothered about weight, I'm young and athletic (I do weights, swim, run and play tennis). I would like my bass to be fairly balenced though, I play seated for concert band and jazz band.

Right, I think that should be enough information for you, any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Just one last thing, you can ignore shipping and taxes etc. in this budget, I worry about that stuff later lol.

Ok, the shortlist is in poll form, please justify why you have chosen your option, in particular, if you choose other, please name the bass and why.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

you think the warwick has a thick/wide neck? IMHO, its the thinnest 6'er neck ever.

but i'll just throw up ibanez. they have an inexpensive 6'er that wont break the bank. and a used yamaha john patitucci is another terrific value.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Did you forget to add the poll? Or am I missing something in my sleep-deprived state?

Marshall

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I was in the process of adding it and didn't realise the thread had posted lol.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    A broad neck warwick is 20mm spacing. So yes that's a very wide neck. Thin though, I agree on that. I like fairly thinish necks.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd go for the Conklin. More range, good electronics right from the git-go. I have a GT-7, and it sounds good even with just the Barts and the Chinese two-band active circuit. I'll end up putting in some other pre, as you all know I can't just leave well enough alone... ;)

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree, the Conklin 7 is an excellent valued bass. I, too, have a GT7, not the BD, and it is very impressive for the cost. The real question would be whether a step up to a 7 is something that you'd really want to do ..... for me, it was a pretty big adjustment to my technique, and I moved to it after playing 6ers for a while ....

If the 6 is really the route you want to go, the Brice Z6NT is a fantastic bass and very moderately priced. Really, the stock electronics are decent and definitely gig-worthy. Alternately, the Cirrus is also a great bass .... not my personal cup-o-tea, but a well respected instrument .... :cool:

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah, that's what I wonder too, I have no chance of playing a GTBD-7 before I could buy, I do worry I might be stepping up too far. I'd probably go through Bass Central, they have a few in stock. I should be able to get my hands on a Cirrus, there's a guy selling one in the UK, he's asking £850 ono, I think that £600 would be closer to the real value, your thoughts?

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    That seems a little high for a used Cirrus ..... I'm guessing that's about $1350 USD? If so, they definitely go for less than that around here ......

Don't mean to try to scare you away from the 7 string, they're great, very versatile and definitely cause you to think outside of your normal comfort zone. It's the only fretted bass I use and I'm extremely happy with it. But to gain full use of the extended range, your technique will require some adjustments, even more so than the move to a 6 will .....

Ahhh, just get 'em both ......... :cool: :D

10. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not personally familiar with either, but am sure I read this somewhere. I'm just a lowly 5-er.), but isn't the string spacing different on the GT-7 and the GTBD-7?

With that being said, I love me them Conklins. :D

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yes, the GTBD-7 is narrower, 7mm at the nut compared to 9mm at the nut for the GT-7, can't remember the bridge measurements. That doesn't bother me too much, it just means you have to be more precise with your technique.

To be quite frank, I really wish there was a GT-6, I think I'd rather go with a 6er at the moment then graduate to the 7 later.

12. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yes, a little tighter at the nut, but about the same at the bridge ...... 16 to 16.5 mm, actual spacing varies a little bit for some reason or another .....

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I heard you can open out the spacing at the bridge a bit if you change out the bridge, anyone tried this?

14. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    And it seems this is going how I predicted, I expected the Cirrus to win. Hopefully I can arrange to play this one within the next few weeks, maybe even talk the guy down to £600 and take it home :D.

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's just it, tho... "around here". When talking about instruments internationally, you can't just do the money conversion... a lot of times the price is driven way up by a lack of availability. We REALLY have it good here in the US, a lot of us just don't realize it or remember to consider it.

I voted Cirrus, which is what I currently have. I think it's such a fantastic value, and one of the easiest playing 6's I've ever touched, and they sound excellent. There are better 6's out there, but not anywhere near their price range. To get better than a Cirrus, I think you'd have to go VERY high end. ...IMHO...

16. Now I want a GTBD-7. I'd reccomend the Ibanez, personally. Great bass, and is VERY versatile, as are all of those on the list.
    The pre on the BTB506 (the American version of the 556 i believe) is a little muddy when boosted, but it's still a nice bass. That might be the way to go if you plan on an upgrade. The BTB1206 (don't know about the euro version) has Bartolini electronics and is clear and versatile. My only problem with ibanez is that they always seem to need a full set up after being broken in. I got my 506 for around 700 dollars, and I got my 1206 for around a grand.
    I think you'd be well off with any of those basses, but there's quite a range.

peace

17. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well this is proving interesting, what particularly interests me is what will come second after the Cirrus, if I can't get hold of a Cirrus within my budget then what comes close behind will come into play. Anyway, keep the opinions flowing, this is exactly what I wanted guys. Btw, someone care to talk about the Yamaha TRBs? The TRB-6II has 5 votes yet nobody has posted about it yet. I briefly played a friend's and liked it but it was too brief to get a good grasp of the instrument.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can probably guess my vote. IMHO the Cirrus 6 is the best bass in this poll, if you can afford one, get it.

The Conklin GT is a very good bass too, just not quite in the same class as the Cirrus IMHO.

If you are wanting to play a seven eventually, though, might as well go ahead. No need to graduate to it.

As for my reason for choosing the Cirrus? :D

[​IMG]

19. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well the cirrus in the UK is walnut with a claro walnut top. It's a 2003 model. Any thoughts on how Walnut sounds in a cirrus? Also, does the 2003 model have the variable mid preamp that was fitted to later models?

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    These are supposed to be VERY nice. I've heard excellent reviews on these. Both hard to find and very popular sound. The Bubinga and Maple topped models are probably the most common, then the Redwood, but that one is a bit too "warm" for my taste. I like a bit more bite and the harder tops do that for you (like Maple, Bubinga, Wenge, Claro Walnut).

No. Only the Tiger-Eye models and current models from the USA Cirrus Custom Shop.

However, these can be retrofitted easily and fairly inexpensively. Note that you'll want to have a qualified luthier do it unless you're comfortable with modifying the body a tiny bit (the hole for the pot needs to be slightly enlarged). At least here in the USA, the parts (preamp and knob set - which you'll need... the mid stack is kind of a strange pot) were under $80 shipped.

Here's one I recently did (I also did my red 6, but with black knobs like on a Millennium bass... tho I may switch to gold on it, as well).

[​IMG]