1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aja or The Royal Scam?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass12, Oct 12, 2009.

1. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    For you Steely Dan fans - as you may know, Steely Dan (with Freddie Washington on bass) are currently touring. Most of their stops are two-nighters. Each of the two nights they play an entire album - either "Aja" or "The Royal Scam" (both shows also incorporate additional songs). I'm just curious, which show would you attend: "Aja" or "The Royal Scam"?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I saw the rent party. It was a one nighter. Knowing then what I know now, if it was a two night show with different sets, I'd go to both shows. It was that good.

3. I'd have to say Aja. I love the songwriting on TRS, but I don't think it would lend itself as well to live performance. Think of how awesome it would be to see a full band of smokin' musicians playing Aja and Josie and Black Cow and I Got the News and...

Yeah. If you can only see one, that's the one.

-jb

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Royal Scam had four great songs, and a few mediocre tunes. Aja, was an exercise in great songwriting. If I was a guitar player I'd check out Royal Scam with two of the finest solo's of all time (Kid Charlemegn, and Don't Take me Alive), But as a bass player Josie and Peg are a clinic in great pop bass lines.

5. I would go to the Aja one. But I might attend the other show just to see kid Charlemegn. :D

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Aja!

7. I'd have to say Aja. Chuck Rainey's line on Peg is the reason I started to play bass in the first place!

8. The Royal Scam

9. kdel

kdel

Feb 24, 2010
    San Diego
    Aja for the win. It's just so strong start to finish. It's no surprise that it pops up a lot on the perfect album thread. I really like the revival album performance thing. I couldn't see Stevie wonder when he last came through town, but he played Innervisions (another perfect album) start to finish and it kills me I didn't see that.

10. I vote Aja as well.

11. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    The Royal Scam

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Damn! That's a TOUGH choice. The Royal Scam is a great album... Haitian Divorce is one of the nastiest reggaes ever committed to wax. I think in the end though, I'd have to go with Aja, especially if the can get Michael McDonald to sing backup on I've Got The News.

You could always flip a coin. It'll really be hard to lose with either show.

13. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Preferably both !! :D

Otherwise "The Royal Scam". I know it's against the general tidal flow, but I always preferred it more than "Aja".

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    royal scam. Clearly. Aja = played to DEATH.

15. Royal Scam

16. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Saw them do Aja at the Tower in Upper Darby, Pa maybe 2 years ago. Playing was great sound was horrible... Found out later it was the 1st show for a new sound man... Freddie washington sounded muffled and low in the mix... Best Steely Dan show for me was Art Crimes in 96-- oh and New York Rock and soul review (not really SD though).
    But I'm sure sound won't be an issue - was probably a 1 time thing.

Would love see the Royal Scam show if I had a choice...

17. Don't feel bad...he couldn't see you either...

Ba-Dum-Pssssss!

Thanks ladies & gentlemen...enjoy the buffet, and tip yer servers!

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Flip o' the coin....both great albums. Saw them two years ago but was late arriving thanks to my wife. I even asked her "hey, is there gas in the car?" to which she responded "yes, there's gas in the car".

There was no gas in the car.

Riis

19. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    That is funny.Your wife is hip.

20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Aja for me!

When they came in montreal, the Aja show was sold out and they canceled The Royal scam because they didn't sell enough ticket.