Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aj's got a new rig!!! SWR IOD!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, May 22, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here it is!! I just came back from Steve's Music with my new SWR IOD pre-amp, and installed it in my rack. It is an awesome machine! It combines the classic SWR tone with the warm fullness of tubes. The signal can be a mix of the EL84 power section, and the "SWR tone". It is much more clear sounding than the Alembic I tried, but I can also thicken the tone to sound very similar. It is the most versatile piece of musical equipment I own!:)
    It has a nice overdrive, but I won't be using that very often. It is a great clean sounding pre-amp.
    [​IMG]
    The Power amp is temporary, I will be putting a QSC PLX2402 in it's place shortly. It's not bad, but it weighs a ton!

This is the best sounding rig I have played through. It is crystal clear sounding with a warmth I've only encountered with tube amps. 900 watts bridged also gives me a ton of headroom. I am quite happy:D :D

2. New IOD?
    super cool bitchin'!
    Enjoy!

3. Welcome to the club.

Enjoy.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm seriously thinking of bailing on my Eden WT-300 for one of those IODs....tell me more bwana! I'm really looking into one.

Convince me? Shoot I dunno...

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    EL84's??? it has its own power amp? explain pleez.

6. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    yep, with the power tubes (which are before the pre-amp) it can drive a speaker and could be used as a practice amp.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yeah, the 8 or so watts is a rather conservative rating. My tech calculated I was getting more like 15 watts after I put in the JJ EL84's. Not a big difference, perhaps, but it's almost small gig loud. the downside being that you don't have the tone shaping avalable when using the speaker out feature.

8. The pair of power tubes are part of the grind circuit. They are blended with the clean portion of the preamp for variable grind.

9. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The pre-amp is basically 2 different parts. You have the standard SWR circuit, the "SWR sound", which is a 12AX7 pre-amp as used in the professional series heads. There is also an all tube(2xEL84's) power section, which you can blend into the mix for a warm fat tone. You can overdrive the tubes to give you an SVT like grind too! It is incredibly versatile. You can use it as a practice amp, but it is only about 5-8 watts. It has an 8ohm resistor, so it doesn't need a speaker load. I actually like the tone better than the Aguilar DB659. There are more tonal options in theis pre-amp. It is very clear and articulate, but you can really warm up the tone with the EL84's. Incredible piece of equipment!:)

Hey Jason...I hope SWR doesn't take too long fixing your unit. I think I know how you feel!!!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

that's hilarious. since it uses EL84's, does it also sound like a vintage Vox AC30?? hehe... :D

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wow what a coincidence, because....

I GOT MINE BACK TONITE!!!! WOOOOOOO!! :D

you should have seen my smile/boner when i fired it up for the first time in months. nothing touches this things tone. nothing. not saying this is possible or anything, but at my gig tonite i think i played better because of it. (everyone was raving about how great i sounded, and everything i heard in my head i managed to get out tonite, something i've been having lots of problems with the past few months. - coincidence? maybe. ;) )

man. i wish it weren't 2AM, or i'd fire it up and play some more. seriously. everyone looking for preamps should make SURE to check this thing out - no matter what kind of music you play.

:D :D :D

12. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It can even make you play better!! What can't it do!!:D Seriously though, The tone of an amplifier can make you play better. If "the sound that is in your head is in your amp" It will allow you to be more expressive. You will play better because it feels better. I haven't turned the IOD on since yesterday afternoon, so I'm going to have to go!:)

13. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Congrats AJ on getting a great pre. Jason, I'm glad your wait is finally over and hope all is well with your IOD. Just curious, did they let you know what was wrong?

I recently was in the studio with my IOD; I ran 2 tracks. One was a mic'd '65 Ampeg B-15 and the other was the "line out" of the IOD. I got some great bass tones through my '73 Jazz. The IOD was my "detailed" sound with lots of bite and treble and the Ampeg provided the bottom warmth. I'm really happy about the combo but we'll see at mixdown.

My IOD can be a little noisy running direct (esp with any treble boost) has anyone installed a Jensen transformer in the DI. I know that's an option and I'm thinking of calling SWR to price one.

Tapp

14. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    btw, the Vox combo is one of the hardest type of environments for the EL84 tube -
    more heating and cooling, I think because of the biasing, shortens the life

15. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just got an E-mail from SWR saying that they are not offering the Jensen transformer modification any more. They said it was $100 plus S&H when it was offered.

I'm still loving this IOD though! :D

16. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    how have the preamps compared into the EA cabinet ?
    - I'm looking for a preamp suggestion ( new or used ) between my B-string and a VL110.