Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aj's got a new toy....not a bass though!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by AMJBASS, Aug 13, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I was on my way to Heinl's music the other day, and I ended up talking to this guy who was selling his old organ. When I saw what it was, I couldn't pass it up, and I ended up paying just $200 (canadian) for one of my best finds! It is a 1958 Hammond M3(Baby B3). It has all of the original documents, and is in superb shape as you can see! It has recently been serviced, and it sounds fantastic. This model has most of the same parts as the B3, but is half the size(and half the weight!). It makes my room look really good too!
    [​IMG]
    Hey Don, the bass isn't in the living room any more!

2. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    200$ Canadian! Thats a great deal! I'm envious. Enjoy the new toy (I'm sure you will). Looks great, and I'm sure it also plays just as great.

3. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    uarks! Hammond organ...

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Man, you gotta stop making us all green with envy. I'm dying to get a B3 (although my wife would kill me) and a Leslie to see what I could do (I play decent enough piano).

I love B3 except for when I don't get the gig 'cuz they don't need a bassist............
    Lynn Seaton told us at the UNT workshop to transcribe good organist's bass lines (Charles Earland, Jack McDuff, Jimmy Smith, etc.) to see how well they do leading with only an octave to work with.

Monte

5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I got one for free!!

Well you get what you pay for, mine is dead and I can't find anyone to service it. A pickup ride to Salt Lake then a van Ride to Tracy Ca some where along the line something died.

Anyone know who can fix one in Northern California?

Joe

"When you hear one (organ) playing you know the majesty of God, when it stops playing you know the grace of God." I wish I knew who said that.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am loving this thing! Almost as much as the bass! It's sound is incredibly filling. I love the warmth of the low end, and the vibrato.....:D
    I have tried transcribing some of Jimmy Smith's bass lines, and they are pretty darn good. A lot of them are similar to what I would play on the Double bass. He is a moster player though. I could listen to him solo for hours!

When travelling with the organ, you have to tighten the bolts underneath the generator box. This keeps them from being suspended and shaking during transport. The generators could get quite damaged if this isn't done.

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey man nice hammond =D
    I have an Xk-2 in my studio(and a leslie 700 series)
    and my dad has an A-100.. He used to play a b-3 in his old band back in the 60s... Nothing can growl like a hammond =D
    hope you like it man.. it rocks

EDIT: had to correct...A-100 left off the 2 zeros.. eep :eek: