Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AJ's & Oteil's "Bass Extremes" Bass Rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 18, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    aighty,

the pics you've all been waiting for:

the freaks

Ampeg & Epifani love

Anthony's Contra Bass

AJ's elusive preamp setup

Oteil's pedals

AJ's speaker cabs

Oteil sharing the Epifani love

rest of the pics

didnt see the Krell power amp, and AJ's preamps were setup down in front of him, with a suuuuuuuuuuper short cord. musta been maybe 4-5 ft.

but his tone was just glorious. so detailed and yet fat! when he'd hit his low B, just sheer chewy rich chocolate lovin'. "piano like" immediately sprang to mind when he was playing. like crossing a cello, piano, timpani, and a pbass all in one. seriously, it was that good.

also, Oteil's NOT an Epifani endorser, but his bass rig was having mad troubles on thursday's opening night. Nick was in the audience, and generously (shrewdly? :p) offered to bring him a new rig for the rest of the Friday and Saturday shows.

but holy crap! both Oteil and AJ's rig sounded leagues and away better than the ampeg rigs. just no contest. Vic while as astounding as ever, his tone sounded too blurry and unfocused, while i thought O's and AJ's rigs were much more articulate, crisp, and sweeter.

even Oteil, after the show, shared with myself and Cpt. Scarlet, that he was literally floored at how incredible his Fodera sounded thru the Epi rig. also, said that he usually has his Ampeg masters set to full, but the Epi's master was only at 1/2! said, the other guys were bridging to 4 ohms, and couldnt keep up with how loud the Epi rig was.

all in all, came away with an even larger appreciation of Oteil's musically rich playing, and AJ's deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pocket.

tones galore... :cool:

2. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thanks for sharing!

4. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
  5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Joker,

You're "THE" man!!!

~S~

PS: Nick MUST have been grinning ALL night listening to his rigs played like they should...LOUD!

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for the pictures and info. i guess since victor wooten plays a 4 that he's the least talented? :rolleyes: that must have been an amazing show

8. Thanks for the great pics and info. You are a great man! Why is the a Epifani amps on top af the Ampeg rigs?

9. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thecabs he's using are Meyer Sound, powered cabs. Forget the exact model names, but the one on top is a 1x12 with horn (350W I think) and the bottom is a 2x10 350W powered sub (goes to 20Hz if I remember right). I was wondering what rig he was currently using since the only recent pics I've seen have been on tour and he doesn't bring his rig out AFAIK.

Thanks joker, you made my day :D

(edit)
    oops, looks like the Meyer 2x15 is the sub, not the 2x10.

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'm not 1000% sure, but I think AJ is playing a 33" scale bass these days. Considering that he still sounds like a million bucks, it's an interesting angle in the age-old debate regarding B strings and scale length.

I think the cable he uses is some sort of very expensive audiophile equipment - it's mentioned and identified in a BP Magazine article from a year or two ago.

11. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi, I'm very interested in the Meyer Sound powered cabs...

does anyone have any info..or a site with info on these cabs?

are they custom order only?

thanks for any help!

oh...and thanks for those great pics!!

12. Meyer makes some of the best high end PA cabinets; they're all self powered. Here's their site:

Meyer

At the last Primus show I saw, the sound was the best I have ever heard. I found out later it was Meyer's newest line array rig, Milo. KILLER stuff!!!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That horse died ages ago... 33-34-35" makes as much difference in the "B" as the color of the body IMHO/E

14. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Yep.....we all know that the color of the hardware is the true key to a solid B string sound :)

15. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Thanks to Joker's pictures and a little help from the Meyer Sound website I think I've figured out what Anthony was using.

Meyer 112
    List price $5,000.00

Meyer 215
    List price $5,000.00

I found several different "list" prices so I just estimated. Expect a list price of over $5k though.

16. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...did you see the Hz range of the 2x15...

~S~

17. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I know that Matt Garrison switched to a 33" scale but are you sure about Anthony Jackson? That would be an interesting trend.

18. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    They just discussed the AJ 33" thing on the AJ yahoo board and apparantly it was completed and he played it and didn't get into it. *shrug* whether it's true or not...

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    his bass that night was definitely not 33". we were all calling it the "boat". :p

and yea, the bottom cab was a 2x15. while, i woulda thought a 15" loaded cab woulda been really buried in a mix as bass heavy as this one, AJ's tone stood out as stout as can be. quite awesome. changed my impressions of the 15" speaker. :cool:

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :bassist: