Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AJ's Rig (pic)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Hey all,

Just over at the Epifani site when I saw this pic of AJ. Anyone have an idea of what he has in the top rack? He has a Stewart power amp obviously, just not sure about the other two pieces of gear. :confused:

[​IMG]

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm you post a thread with the title "AJ's Rig (pic)" and there is no pic inside... c'mon! I dont remember every manufacturer's website address :meh:

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  4. Sorry, haha! Forgot to include the pic.

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :confused:

The upper one might be a compressor?
    Or some other effect - as it has just two pots...
    And the lower one a preamp.
    I havent seen anything like that so far... except maybe for Mike Zimmerman's SWR IOD, that was also near that metallic blue colour :p

It seems I wasnt of much help. sorry

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The lower one looks like two smaller units with a mounting plate.

7. Possibly, but it looks like it has only one power switch for the whole unit. Hm..

Both look like they have two seperate channels in the same chassis.

8. Well, I started thinking of Millennia, so went over to their site and saw this. It looks like Anthony may be using an earlier version of this possibly? The design and logo looks similar.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Now that I've looked further into it, I'm quite sure this is the preamp AJ is using. The HV-3B instead of the "C" model shown in the above pic. Looks like this doesn't have the red knobs that AJ's does.

[​IMG]

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    He indeed has a Millennia pre above and two rackmounted API 550 EQs below.

10. I first wonder how old this pic is...Anthony; as I understand it has lost and kept off a LOT of weight and he looks pretty 'stout' here.

This is what I think is going on in the pic.

I'd definately go w/ Millenia as his preamp (which is a mirophone pre BTW). Anthony has for a long time taken the 'minimalist' approach to sending a signal to the board or amplifier. I would venture to say he's using some type of fully parametric eq on the bottom - probably just for filtering some unwanted q's/frequencies.

11. Thanks, Lyle! My guess was a parametric EQ of some type, but I would've never guessed what brand it was. You saved me alot of searching. ;)

basicallybass: Anthony did lose alot of weight awhile back, but from what I've seen he has put some of it back on. I'll go look up a few recent photos to show you. I'm not sure when this pic was taken. I'm wondering if it was at one of the club dates he's been doing alot of in NYC recently?

12. Here are a few recent pics of AJ:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Someone, PLEASE tell me why I can't see these pics!!!! Alot of the pictures that are posted now just don't show up for me.

Just to add to the actual thread, AJ doesn't use Epifani's any longer. At least when he tours he doesn't. He uses powered PA speakers.........I can't seem to think of the brand right now but it'll come to me. Although, being that they're so large he may be using something else to do gigs around town such as the Epi's. Anyone seen him play lately, maybe with Wayne Krantz?

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmmmmmm, those pics showed up for me......weird...........????

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bernie, thanks so much man. Yeah, that picture of AJ is of him at the 55 bar and it looks recent. He must be using the Epi stuff for in town. Cool. I've gotta tell you, I'd love to have two Epifani 112's with the crossover and tweeter from the Bergantino cabs. That would be very, very cool.

16. No problem, Andy!

I was thinking that pic was recent because they just revamped the Epi site so I was figuring they would use something new.

I'm trying to think of the powered cabs he used to use. Turbosound maybe? I think he used those back in the day.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You know I think it's Meyer sound. That's what he used with Michel Camillo and with Hiromi.

18. OK, cool.

This pic surprised me when I first saw it. Not the gear you would associate with him.

[​IMG]

19. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis