Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aj's small gig rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, May 6, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I finally got my small gig setup together! The Clarus just came in today. I paired it with my Euphonic Audio VL108, and it sounds great! I can't believe the volume coming from such a small amp. With the upgraded power section, I get roughly 150watts into 8 ohms with this setup. It is more than enough for most of my smaller gigs.

The setup sounds really nice with my Double bass. Incredibly natural and warm. It sounds quite nice with the 6 string too. While not as full sounding as the Aguilar, it has a wonderful clarity, and is fairly deep sounding as well. What is most amazing about it is that my whole rig weighs roughly 30lbs!! I can carry my bass in one hand the cab in the other, and the Clarus in it's shoulder bag!

Here's a picture of it next to the Aguilar so you can get an idea how tiny it is!:)
    [​IMG]

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i now hate you. good job.

i REALLY want a clarus to use with my goliath jr instead of bringing my rack to every gig.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It looks like you have all of the bases covered now.

Good job.

Of course, if you are at all like me (or, most people on this board...), you'll find a reason to buy more stuff.... :D

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well I may just need a few more things...but thats it!;) Seriously, it is a great setup, it is all I wanted for small gigs.

I am in the midst of buying a rackmount setup for larger shows. The Aguilar's 200 watts doesn't provide the clean headroom I need. I was planning on using the rack for most of my gigs since it will be so versatile, but when I picked up the Aggie, I realize that the Clarus is more fun to move!!;)

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Wow. Schawwweeeet, AJ!

6. Oh Snap :D congrats AJ

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What would you say the sound is missing compared to your other amp. Do you think the clarus would cut it playing stuff like Led Zep, The police, Beatles and Pink floyd or would you need to add a sansamp bass di or something along those lines?

How well do you think it would handle effects?

BTW cool amp.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That 108 is just too cool.

9. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just had the Clarus out on a Funk/Jazz practice, and it sounded amazing! Lots of power for such a small unit. It is incredibly clear sounding for chording, and has a nice smooth midrange which sounded great with the Warrior! When we started to get into Funk, I couldn't believe the tone coming out! Quick sounding, and incredibly natural. I love the low end....sooo deep! It is an astounding amp!
    I'm sure it could cut it for rock. You would just need a good pre-amp to pair it with. Maybe a Fishman dual parametric or a Sans Amp.

I recorded the session, and played it back through the Clarus, and that completely blew me away. It sounded better than our PA! What more could I ask for? Well......;)

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LOL, and here i thought your Aguilar setup was the small rig. :D

seriously, i'm surprised to hear that little VL108 puts out enough low end for you. very nice... btw, what kind of upright is lying next to it? German?

Tay-man,

a clarus can do electric basses nicely, but its a more direct to board, jaco type sound. very clean and clear with little amp coloration. might sound too clean cut for the music you want to play. like you said, a Sansamp driving thru the clarus might dirty things up nicely, but unless you need the lightweight package, there are many other great rock bass amp options. an Eden WT400 is a great way to go. has that classic rawkus Eden tone in a lightweight 13 lbs. package. i had one but needed more power and had to sell it. :( but it was very sweet.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like this. It has a certain sensibility and appeal to someone my age.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that is really intreasting.
    how much are they?
    were can i find one?
    how close is it to being as loud as the aguilar

steve

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The VL108 was part of the old EA product line. The Cxl-110 is the smallest cab now.

14. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Clarus puts about 150 watts into 8ohms, while the Aguilar is 200watts into 8ohms. You can push the Aguilar much harder though, being all tubed. I do find that it gets a little muddy when you start to push it really hard. The Clarus remains crystal clear, and does a good job pushing the VL108. It would be much louder with a CXL110, but I am happy with the setup.:)

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What's this about a higher-power version of the Clarus? I don't see anything on their website about it. The original puts out 120w into 8 ohms, 200 into 4, and 300 into 2. How much more does the new one do into lower impedances?

I do see however they've got a new two-channel version of the Clarus. Dang, that would be just the ticket for me, especially since I just found out the hard way a Mini Gig-Rig won't fit in my car (anyone want one? :) ), I'm used to having a couple channels to mix.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well I think i'm going to get the clarus next time i'm in the states and if i've got enough money the sansamp as well.

Quick question if I was to use the sansamp for that vintage tube sound could I run it in the effects loop you know bass--->sansamp--->effects in. This would bypass the pre in the clarus if I didn't want those clean sounds. Wouldn't do any damage would it?

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    last i heard it got dropped.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dunno if it was dropped, but they were supposed to make a 700 watt version.

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how much are they?

20. That is a very nice rig you have there. I have an Aguilar GS 112 myself, and I was thinking about getting a Clarus to use for upright, and low volume BG gigs. My SVT II Pro just prefers having an aditional larger cabinet, and it sure would be nice to carry around five pounds as opposed to 80. Right now, my only real option for upright is my old Ampeg SB-12. I think I'd be a lot happier if I got the Clarus.