Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AJ's Wild Ride

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gard, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    A friend of mine just e-mailed me this story, I don't know if it's completely accurate or even accurate at all, but if it is, I'm happy to hear AJ's OK!

:eek:

On Thursday, March 6th, during another storm, as
    part of this most brutal Winter of 2002-2003, my dear friend and longtime musical colleague, Anthony
    Jackson, the most brilliant bassist, while driving
    over a bridge on the New Jersey Turnpike, his car hit a patch of ice and went into a spin. The car then went through the protective railing, and down an embankment. Moving rapidly, and suddenly headed backwards, the car went down into a swamp. Filthy polluted water soon began to cover the car as Anthony sank in it. Almost completely submerged, calling on every bit of his strength and intellect, he actually thought his way out of the situation by allowing the car to fill with water, and then, opening the door, he was able to escape. He swam a distance, perhaps 1-3/10 of a mile, and there he stood, in the 19° temperatures, in wet clothes, trying to flag someone down for help. Of course, many cars passed him by before a policeman finally stopped to assist, and drove Anthony home. Miraculously, AJ was not hurt at
    all. I learned of this amazing story in an e-mail from
    Dennis Chambers and, of course, I phoned Anthony
    immediately. We had an amazing conversation, and I
    still can't believe that he was able to swim in that
    freezing water, and make it safely to shore!!! Now
    that is amazing if you know and understand all the
    horror stories of any winter such as this one!!!

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    wow man.. thats crazy

Im glad hes okay though man..
    =D

3. Oh man, I'm glad he's okay. He's one of my bass heroes!

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    that is a cool story...when is the TV movie coming out?

5. I would expect somebody as smart as AJ to know about pressure equalization. Good thinking, and I'm glad he's safe.

In the storage compartment of my Cherokee's center console, I keep a window punch that allows me to break a side window and cut off my seat belt in case I drive into water.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    damn I just read this on a Fodera Newsgroup post....pretty gnarly stuff, glad he's okay.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I saw AJ play last year for the first time and I'm really glad it won't be the last.

Glad to hear he's ok.