Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ajusting rickenbacker 4003 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alex E, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Hi out there!

Quick question on adjustment for Rick 4003 owners. I play mostly fingerstyle, pop/rock music. My neck pickup is slanted too high up towards the G string & too low on the 'E'

Manual doesn't give much info. On the E string side, I tightened the screw clockwise to raise that side. On the G string side, I went counter clockwise to lower.

ONE QUESTION IS: CAN ONE GO TOO MUCH COUNTER CLOCKWISE? I'D LIKE TO LOWER THE 'G' SIDE JUST A BIT MORE, BUT AM AFRAID THE SCREW WILL PULL OUT & I'LL MESS UP THE PICKUP HOUSING or the foam it sits on.

Also, how do you get to the bridge pickup to adjust it? Looks kinda complicated and I'm afraid to mess up the bass.

Thanks for any advice.:help:

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Stewartsville, NJ
    Wow, Unanswered Zombie thread right here.

I actually have the exact same questions.

3. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the Ric website has a diagram of the bridge pickup assembly. it's easier to adjust than it appears

4. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    The cover of the neck pickup is attached to the base of the pickup at all four corners, which you can't see under the scratchplate. Unscrewing the G side will not cause the pickup to come apart, although if you do unscrew it too much, you will run out of threads and have to go fishing or take the scratchplate off to re-thread the adjustment screw into the pickup. The screws on the E and G side are the same length, so you can go at least as far down on the G side as the E side started out.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If the screw pulls out you just have to pop the plate off and fish it out, it really isn't the end of the world.

Does anybody else mount their pickups to the face of the instrument? I found it kind of ass-backwards... but it goes well with the bridge!