Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AKAI Deep Impact Bass Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smoothbrother, May 30, 2005.

1. smoothbrother

smoothbrother

May 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does anyone know where to get these? I know AKAI stopped making them, but i'm sure there are still some around. Also, is there any comprable pedals which can produce similiar sounds. It just so happens that the 2 bass players im really into right now both use this as their main envelope filter. Any input, advice, or place to find these would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    adam

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    basically the only place you are gonna find one is on ebay and ur gonna have to be prepared to pay the bucks for it. luckily i got mine cheaply off a talkbass user. its pretty awesome.

theres a heap of threads on whats comparable... short answer is nothing really comes that close. digitech bass synth way will get u part of the way. do a search on it. otherwise the electro harmonix bass micro synth is sposed to be ok. bear in mind i havent used either of those.

btw, one of the bassists ur talking about wouldnt happen to be chris wolstenholme of muse would it? hes a champ.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    yup, ebay...usually going for $400+ :( :rollno:

4. Szipmonk

Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    NYC
    I don't think you are going to find another pedal that truly compares to the AKAI Deep Impact. But other pedals to check out include:

Mutron III
    Pigtronix
    Agent 00Funk
    Lovetone Meatball (if you can find one)

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    also korg g5 but those are probably rarer than akai deep impact

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There is a critical difference being missed here, I think.

Muton III / Pig / Meatball are all out and out EV filters. The Akai is a synth bass processor. There is a big difference in the sounds that come out of the two different kinds of effects.

The only like for like pedals mentioned in this thread are the Akai and the Korg G5

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    True, however, you can get some sweet funk/filter settings out of the Akai, especially using settings 3 and 9 (adjusting them correctly). I got such a nice one out of setting 3 that I now have no need for my Mini Q.

8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    You can also check out the Line 6 Filter Modeler, the (expensive) Sherman Filterbank, and there's a couple cheapies by Boss.

The Electro Harmonix box is, IIRC, a real input-tracking analog synth rather than a digitizing thing. I'm old, so in my mind _that's_ the original of which the others are the knockoffs. There's software available, too (Kantos), but you probably don't want to get your laptop out on stage.

I would certainly save and pony up for a Sherman before I would pay $400+ for the Akai. Or buy the EH box. A fuzz box ahead of a decent envelope follower will give you 80% of what these things do. Throw in an octaver, cut the direct output (leaving the octaves), and you get up near 100%. Also check out the Prunes and Custard box by Crowther which is pretty synthy.

9. smoothbrother

smoothbrother

May 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm going for more of a mike gordon from phish super "squishy" sound. I
    have an EHX Bassballs right now, but need more.

I recently purchased a Boss SYb-3 off EBay for really cheap. Whats that deal with that and can it be used with the Deep Impact

Thanks for all you help guys

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    check out the combination of agent 00funk mark II and brown dog bass fuzz at www.chunk.com.au ... pretty lethal combination, but again the price factor. if u just want the funky dub tone theres always the cheapie ibanez SB7. i dont think u could really classify the boss synth gear as cheap either, and further the syb-3 is useless and the syb-5 is what i would term 'ok'. it really all depends on what setting the synth is to be used in, if smoothbrother is after a muse type sound which i suspect, a bassballs could probably work pretty well for that citizen erased and plug-in baby type sound. also lets not forget the digitech synth wah which is supposed to be relatively versatile.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    ah ok im not really into phish so i cant tell u what sound that is exactly.

ive got a bassballs and i really like it.

i had a boss syb-3 and the tracking was pretty terrible.. like you would play 4 notes in succession but only 1 would be synthesised, the rest just ignored. adjusting your style does help the unit respond better though, for example playing with a pick or more fingernail, playing slower, changing strings...

the syb-5 tracking is a little better, but still no comparison with the deep impact. as for using sybs with deep impact, theres really no reason, tho i have both on my pedalboard... ive heard that using two synths in series gives u like a ring mod sound but that doesnt seem to make sense to me...

i would suggest checking the for sale forums here and keep an eye on ebay and u might be lucky like me to snap up an akai.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Definitely a champ. Anyone know what other effects he uses? A couple songs sound alot like He's using a wooly mammoth.

13. Someone up above mentioned using a bassballs for synth sounds. What settings did you use to achieve this sound?

14. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Mikes "squishy" sound is from his Lovetone meatball envelope filter. The Deep impact is used for tunes such as their cover of boogie on reggae woman, parts of harry hood, an some other tunes. The meatball makes its show in free, the YEM jam, and other stuff.

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    43%: chris has a human gear animato distortion (basically extinct), the deep impact, big muff, OC-2, line 6 filter modeller, and erm a giant racks worth of eq gear. man he gets some great tone... the bassballs basically nails the plug-in baby sound even though he doesnt have one on his pedalboard (that i know of).

codeybassboy: i have distortion set to "on" and sensitivity at 2 o'clock. at this setting it has a sustained screaming artefact but if you play quickly it doesnt have a chance to decay. it kinda gives you that citizen erased fuzzy synthy sound. ps mine is the russian version im not sure if the US version gives a slightly different sound.

for the record, the bassballs is about the only effect ive ever bought and liked it straight off the mark.

16. smoothbrother

smoothbrother

May 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Cool, thats exactly what i wanted to know.
    Now I need both.

17. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    be warned, lovetone gear aint cheap and theyre out of business i believe.

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    smoothbrother - i think i remember that you're in the UK.

Check out loot and ebay.co.uk for the deep impact, and check out ebay for the Lovetone Meatball.

Expect to pay £300 for the Meatball, but you can by one of the meatball RI's for £375, from Dan at Dinosaural :)

19. Szipmonk

Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    NYC
    In addition, you'd probably need a ADA MB-1 preamp to get Mike's sound. All his single effects (Boss Flanger, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Lovetone Meatball, and Akai Deep Impact) are run with the ADA preamp. However, ADA is no longer in business. Check out this link for more info...

http://www.phish.net/faq/bass.html

20. smoothbrother

smoothbrother

May 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    so why do all these companies stop making these effects? Is it to drive up prices and create demand?