Akai Deep Impact questions...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hvingsand, May 5, 2005.

1. Okay, now I' close to giving up trying to get one from ebay...

Soooo... Does anyone know if Akai ever will produce these again? Or are there any stores with one still left for sale?
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Crap, I managed to score an Unibass for cheap because they discontinued it, but I kind of doubt that's gonna happen with the Deep Impact ...
  4. Is te unibass just as great as the deep impact, or is it just deep impacts little brother?

After what I've heard, it produces an octave higher so that it sounds like playing a guitar.. Is this really useful? Or can it do other things?
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's more it's cousin than brother.
    Yes, it distorts an octave up (plus optional 4th/5th).
    Very useful in 3 pieces to fill out the sound, YMMV. Also, lots of information on it available via search.
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bah, i don't hope they reissue it. It'd kill the value of mine :p

7. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    They could do with an improved version with....

ok I'm stuck as to how to make it better. I sold my backup pedal so fingers crossed mine carries on working for many a year otherwise I'll be distraught.
  8. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    its kinda annoying how all the highly regarded synths are discontinued, the akai Deep Impact, korg g5, and boss me-8b.

maybe we're just not a large enough market for companies to make it profitable? bah,...we need to multiply!
  9. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I want an me-6b :(
  10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I used one for a couple years at work, but then got the V-Bass. Sold the Deep Impact and never looked back. Of course, the V-Bass cost 8 times as much, but hey... :rolleyes: It was a good unit, but I really only liked 2 of the presets.

Funny story. At the end of our show, we used to do a funk vamp while the introduce the cast. We used to play the "flashlight" groove (ii-V in Bb, line goes C-Bb-G-Gb-F in eighth notes). Soooo, we start up the groove and I start my line using my favorite preset on the Deep Impact. Somehow, the unit geeked. EVERY notes I played was a A. EVERY note, anywhere on the neck, same A. Tried to change patches (down with my feet, it was tough to reach with your hands), nope. Wouldn't change. Meanwhile, the band keeps chuggin' and EVERYONE is turning around looking at me with that ***-? look. I tried hitting bypass...nope. Just these horrible A's popping out on or C-7 F7 funk jam. It sounded really, really bad. Finally had to reach down, unhook the AC adapter plug and power up again.

I mean the whole affair lasted maybe 30 seconds, but felt like 30 years. Never happened again, but I was always nervous after that going into our jam at the end. :eek:
  11. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Question: are there any decent synth pedals that are only about 100 dollars/Euros? The Digitech Bass Synth Wah can be had fairly cheaply, so it seems. Anyone ever used this thing?
  12. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    i have a bass synth wah and if you can't afford a deep impact or korg G5, this is the next best thing to get for the money. i love mine, it can make some really interesting noises. many users on talk bass use theirs as an octaver. there are several threads on the bass synth wah if you need any more info. -dave
  13. Tried one out. Didnt sound terrible actually. I can see where some people would be able to use it. I personally would just save for a higher end pedal, becuase if I ever end up using synth sounds, I'd just go all out instead of building the way up, losing more money. But they're definately worth a try. That pedal makes me second guess everybody's claims that Digitech=crap.
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I believe Digitech is tossing around the idea of a reissue. After they went out of production/stock last time, prices skyrocketed like this. Then two online retailers magically found some NOS units and sold for $149. I bought two, sold both but wish I held onto one. Heck, $300 total profit though off ebay ;)

Anyway, make a phone call to 401-658-4032 or 401-658-3951 (Akai) and tell them you want a reissue. Only way to get things like this done is to make them know there's a demand for them.
  15. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Alright, just ordered one of those suckers (Bass Synth Wah.) If anything, I'll definitely be able to use it for the couple of solo spots I have, as my band plays some kind of synth rock, I always wanted a synth effect or two.
  16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I see no reason why theywould re-issue it.
    It wasn't successful, mostly because people found it too expensive.
    Of course at $100 on sales it became more interesting.
    What we have nowadays is just a hype that would stop if it was available again.
  17. A re-issue would be great!
    But still, I think most people would prefer the original...

Do you think they'd be able to recreate it perfectly, or even better? Or will there never be another synth pedal that matches the Deep Impact?
  18. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004

OMFG!!!!! That is hysterical! I would become frantic after the first note that was not A. Come out as A.