Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Deep Impact vs. EBS BassIQ advice??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Dec 31, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I currently have an EBS BassIQ and while it is a great envelope filter, I don't really use it a lot so I was wondering if the filter settings on the Akai Deep Impact were decent? The bassplayer review says it could get a good emulation of a bassballs or mutron, but I want to know from a real world perspective. I also have always liked synth (But i sold my EH microsynth because it just didn't do it for me plus it had no pre-sets). So I guess i am wondering if it would be worth it to sell the BassIQ and get a Deep Impact? hmmm tough decision. I don't have the funds for both and I think I could sell the BassIQ for enough to cover a Deep Impact. I also already have a 105Q bass Wah that i use for a lot of my envelope needs.
    So what do you think? I know the pedals are kind of in different classes.
    Any input is appreciated.

Also anyone have any sound samples of the deep impact or know where i can find them. They are gone from the bassplayer review.

-KB

2. all i can say is : try one @ local music store :)

but i doubt the akai can beat the EBS..

3. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I have both and they live quite happily side by side on my pedal board as they do completly different jobs.

The Bass Iq is an autowah and the Deep Impact is a bass synth. The Impacts envelope filters only apply to the synth sounds not to your bass sounds. And with the Iq the attack control only changes how long it takes for the eq setting 'sweep'

I think they are both great pedals, but one can't replace the other. I use the Iq more in our gigs than the Deep Impact for some 'dub' type effects (on the down setting) that I quite like - and which tend to shake the room !

>Edit
    I had a search through my drive and found a load of deep impact samples from various sites.

I've uploaded them to some webspace - help yourself.

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/johnnyg/deepimpact/

If the owner of these samples is unhappy about me making these available then please email me and I'll remove them.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks for the samples. They definately tell me that the Akai is the synth sound I am looking for. I know the BassIQ is different, i just didn't know if you could access just the filters in the akai to use with the normal bass sound. hmmmm. getting too much GAS. The other bad part is they both won't fit on my pedalboard with my other effects (and the fulltone bassdrive I have coming).
    Still need to decide what to do :confused: :D

-KB