Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Deep Impact vs. Effects Universe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fonqueman, Apr 16, 2003.

1. fonqueman

fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm looking for a fat, bass synth pedal for some hip-hop, trance/dance bass playing effects. I've looked into the SYB3 (Boss) and see a lot of bad tracking reviews. The Akai appears to be the best value and overall better performer. I'm looking for any input, positive or negative on the Akai, Boss or any other effects unit in a moderate price range (<$300 US) Thanks!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I originally got my Deep Impact for some of the pop dance material, like No Doubt's "Hella Good." But it also works very well for trance, drum-bass, acid jazz, in my rave band on top of what the synthesist/keyboardist does.

Each of the sounds I programmed in took a lot of time, trial & error, to make each of them quite different from the others. But it was worth it. I ditched all the factory presets and use my own.

Two of the best aspects about the unit, to me, aside from it heavy duty construction, are;

1. Every program doesn't have that "buzz" effect that sounds like you are playing through a $50 fuzz box. Goodbye "digital thin" sound.

2. The input LED allows you to tweak the controls so you know at what level you are going to trigger the synth sounds.

There are 1-2 programs that don't track instantly on lower notes. But for the money, it's a tough act to follow, (zZounds has them down to $140 these days).

4. fonqueman

fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    Just ordered the Akai - looking forward to blowing some minds with this thing! Thanks for everyones input and the tip to ZZSounds! Awesome Pricing!