Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai E2 (or E1) Headrush vs. Boss DD-20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Jul 4, 2004.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Any thoughts out there on the Akai E2 Headrush (or even the older E1) vs the Boss DD-20 delay? I am looking for a delay that sounds good with bass and can do minor looping and other neat effects. I don't really have any interest in the Line 6 DL4 (don't like the tone or the interface) and the RC-20 doesn't really have the delay functions (which I would use more than looping).

The Akai seems to be a little cheaper than the Boss. I do think the reverse mode on the Boss could be fun, but just for a gimick.

any thoughts on these (DD-20 and headrush)

The new E2 headrush should be out soon if it is not already.

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The old headrush kicks ass. It loops incredibly well the delays sound good, and it's very very easy to use.
    I was severely tempted by the Boss, to be able to store samples in the pedal would be awesome, but the akai just sounded better to me.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    bumpity bump

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    fwiw, musicians fiend say they'll be getting the headrush e2 in the next 30 days

5. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yo,

As I posted elsewhere earlier, I am (now formerly, courtesy of that awesome Numark deal...) employed by the company that does (did) Akai's US Tech Support. Since that earlier post, I have had a chance to try the E2 pedal both with bass and guitar. I don't care to talk smack about my former employers' employers, but I'll be totally honest with the TBers and say that I did not like the E2, and would not purchase it. I think it sounded very sterile, robbed the input signal of a lot of tonal detail and "character", and had very boring (IMO, naturally) delay and echo sounds (keep in mind that I like the delay sounds of say, an Ibanez AD-202).

Those are all issues of taste, and yes, those will change for everybody, but the one issue that made me put this pedal right back in the box was that an audible electronic click was unavoidable when switching between the three delay modes of normal, tape emulatoion, and looping. That, to me, is flatly subprofessional, especially knowing the engineering legacy that Akai has made for itself. There's absolutely no place for that kind of flaw in a product that its maker designates as a tool for working musicians, IMO. There's every chance that mine was flukey in that way, but that's the big reason why I don't like this pedal.

Per the norm, just my 2 cents.
    Seb

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn. I had high hopes for this pedal. I think I'll be going for the Boss then as an echoplex is not in my immediate future.

7. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't want to stop anybody from trying it, or buying it, for that matter, but I gotta be honest, you know?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    FWIW, AmericanMusicalSupply.com now has the E2 in stock

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, no problem. I'll try it if I get a chance, but your well put review has me leaning away.

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Gutted. :bawl:

11. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    I just received the new E2 (as a replacement to my old E1) and on my unit, there is no audible click to speak of when switching between the three modes.

As far as sound quality goes, there isn't any difference to my ears between the E1 and the E2, the only differences being added features. And in my opinion, these features are worth getting the new version: longer loop time and footswitchable modes. Espcially since I sold my E1 for more ($210) than the new E2 cost ($180).

12. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    just a question about the boss- if anyone can help me.
    i understand it has nine saveable memories- does this mean saveable from the time that you switch it off to the time you it back on again- ie effectivly using it as a sampler? If so does anyone here do this- as it would save me whole load of headaches during gigs.