akai e2 vs boss dd-20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Mar 17, 2006.

1. does anyone have experience with these pedals? iwant to use them for delay, i don't really need all the fancy modes, just a tap tempo, as well as a bit of live looping. which would be better for the looping part, how many overdubs can i do on each? i know the akai has half the sampling time, which is certainly a drag, but i htink the 14 secs might be enough. any opinions on either would be much appreciated :) thanks.

2. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Our guitarist uses a DD-20, and has managed to get up to 13 loops before the sound quality got unbearable. It's very easy to use live.
  3. wow, thats not too shabby at all.
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I have used the DD-20 for a long time now and it is great for simple live looping and usable delays. One really nice thing is that it has Feedback control, so you can use the digital delays like loops. Just set the feedback high and use the tap tempo to set long delay times. The ability to use an external switch for tap tempo is great, and the 5 stored and one manual setting is easy to use.

Downside: no feedback control for the looper setting! bastards! Someone at Boss/Roland keeps sabotaging their loopers.

I had some time to play with the E1, and have looked at the E2. Nice sounding unit if you really miss your old tape-based Maestro Echoplex. I don't find them incredibly useful for live work.

Look here for some good E2 info:

I wouldn't rule it out but the E2 is less live-performance friendly. I've always been amazed by the tape head outputs and echoplex emulation, but the Akai pedal leaves me thinking that i would miss too many features that i take for granted on the DD-20.
  5. i've used the e1 many times live and it is extremely easy and applicable to use in a live situation. the sample time is long enough for looping and i've put lots of overdubs, technically you can put infinite, but it starts getting muddy after about 7 or 8. it does have tap tempo, and there are three modes of operation, one for looping, one for the 4-head tape delay, and one for regular delay. the 4-head tape delay might not be the most applicable live, but used as a normal delay it is great, feedback control, HF damping...

i have not tried the dd-20, but the headrush is a great unit and does work well live.
  6. you guys are killing me, they both seem adequete for what i need to do, i can get out and try the dd-20, so ifi dig it i'll probably get that since i don't know any places around here that stock the akai, if the dd-20 isn't my deal i guess i'll just take a chance and order the akai, thanks a lot guys i'll let you know how it goes.
  7. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    I'm sure that it works well live, but having to bend down to switch patches isn't very friendly. On the DD-20 you can store 5 presets and toggle through them with the left pedal. You can swittch that pedal's mode to tap-tempo hands free, or you can use an external momentary switch to set the tap-tempo. The only thing that you might need to bend over for is saving a preset to memory. The Headrush is not a bad pedal, or hard to use, but it isn't very convenient or flexible. It does sound great and kills the DD-20 or the DL4 if you are strictly looking for Maestro Echoplex emulation. Better sound quality (specifically for tape delay, the DD-20 sounds great) and the individual tape head outs are awesome.

Secondly, the DD-20 lets you hear the previous sound when you switch patches, so you can have a loop playing, then switch to the next patch, leaving the loop alone, and play over it through a nice reverb/delay/echo. So when I say "not live friendly" abut the Headrush I guess I mean that it doesn't offer the options or the hands free control that the DD-20 does. Specific to the E2, you have to bend over to switch the unit into loop mode, or out of loop mode.

Again, both have their place but one is way ahead in features and performance options.
  8. benevan

May 2, 2002
    Not true. With the E2, you can toggle between the (3) modes by pressing both switches at the same time.
  9. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    That's cool. I didn't have any luck finding an online manual but I'll look again because I really liked the E1 and am interested in the E2's new features.