Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AKAI G-Drive (D2G) overdrive/distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Apr 8, 2003.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
  2. seems like a really great design for bass? I'm surprised these aren't more popular with bottom-feeders. Wonder what they sound like....

[​IMG]

3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't know but all the user reviews on Harmony Central were very positive (makes you wonder why it was discontinued after seemingly being in production for only about 1 year).

One went by on eBay a week ago but I missed it.:(

4. I looked into getting one of these, but evidently it's digital... :confused:

Some users report that there's actually a time lag between when you stomp the switch and when the signal comes in, which is characteristic of early, poorly designed digital stompboxes. Beats the hell out of me; maybe the EQ system is digital.

It sure is a great idea. I think it'd be even better with a pair of 3-band semi-parametric EQs.

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Where were these reviews? None of the reviewers on Harmony Central mention this and the one guy who's really a "tech-geek" (he actually scoped the thing to look at the frequencies) said its analog. :confused:

6. Someone here on TB mentioned it.

FWIW, scoping the thing to look at the frequencies affected by each slider wouldn't necessarily prove a thing about whether it were analog or digital.

An oscilloscope doesn't tell you anything about the internal workings of a circuit--it just tells you what goes in and what comes out.

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I know what an oscilloscope does (although, high school electronics was a lonnnnnng time ago). I just mean't to qualify that this guy seems knowledgable in electronics and his statement of it being analog is probably accurate.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I thought I'd tried every o/d & distortion pedal out there!

It does sound like a great idea, I'm curious like you all are why we didn't hear more about it.

The Akai Hexacomp was another great sounding (idea wise anyway) pedal. That got discontinued recently also. Akai don't seem to spend that much on marketing their pedals, the only one I recall seeing any press for was the Deep Impact.

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm looking at getting a Deep Impact also (since I hate the BOSS synth pedal). I'm just waiting for the right deal. The last one went on eBay for over $155+shipping which is insane since several places on the net (like zZsounds) has them for $139.95 shipped :eek: .

I've already got a Uni-Bass and an Intelliphase (recently discontinued :confused: :rolleyes: ) which are great.

10. Yeah, my Intelliphase is fabulous. The Variwah isn't really my favorite--it's more of a guitarist's noisemaking toy, I find. The Tune Lock is wretched and I would not recommend that anyone buy it.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks. There's been several of those, cheap on eBay recently and I was considering one.