Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Headrush E1 looper

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by learning_towalk, Jun 24, 2004.

1. my friend asked me to sell this for him so he could have the rest of the money he needs to get his new Chet Atkins SST...

He told me that he only used it about 8 or 9 times then put it in his closet...

it has three selections tape echo, normal delay,and looping record

it has 4 head sends

it is in really good shape cosmetically with only a few imperfections in the finish (aka there is a brown mark about 1/8" in the lower right corner and a few small scratches)...

it's also missing it's ac adapter (9v dc +-)...he said that he'd try to find it

he has to have $150 + shipping for it (they go for around 200 on ebay)

if i had the cash I would buy it from him...but I don't.

this is a great looper pedal!!!

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    how long is the loop on this pedal?

3. Taken from the web:

The Headrush can record a single loop up to 23.8 seconds long or an overdubbed loop up to 11.9 seconds. The interface is nice and simple for creating the length of the loop on the fly. There are two foot switches. The left switch activates the function and the right switch is used to determine the length of the loop. If you want to overdub a loop, click the left switch to activate the looping function and start playing. Then click the right button once to start recording. Clicking the right button a second time will close the loop. Click the right button a third time will allow you to record infinite layers on the original loop. To play over the overdubbed loop without recording, click the left button. To erase overdub loops, click the right button again to erase all but the original loop. If the original loop goes over 11.9 seconds, then you are committed to only one loop; you will not be able to overdub. An LED light above the right pedal will begin to flash a few seconds before you reach 11.9 seconds, notifying you to either close the loop or live with the consequences. The LED light will flash again a few seconds before reaching 23.8 seconds, letting you know that the loop will automatically repeat. Normal Echo: The maximum tap tempo delay time is 23.8. Again, the left switch activates the function and the right switch is used to determine delay time. Click once then click a second time. The time between clicks is your delay time. There are course and fine Time dials to manually manipulate delay time. The sound quality is pretty good. The sampling rate and resolution are the same for all three functions: sampling rate = 44.1 kHZ; resolution = 16 bit. Tape Echo: This is the coolest function of the three. The Tape Echo function is designed to simulate a 4 head analog tape delay. Each head has its own output so that you can send multiple signals from the Headrush to multiple amps or mixer channels. I plugged all 4 into my 8 track recorder and was impressed. There is a Head-Gap dial where you can sync up the delay times of the heads or stagger them. When they are staggered and you use the individual head outputs, you get some cool quadraphonic echo. Maximum delay time in the Tape Echo mode is only 5.9 seconds which kind of sucks but I'm not complaining. Activation and setting of delay time is performed in the same manner as in the Normal Delay mode. There is a HF Damp function that allows you to dampen the frequency of the delay feedback. This is supposedly designed to replicate the lo-fi qualities of the old analog tape delays. It may be a useful tool but the sound quality is too good to be mistaken for old tape heads. There is a three stage switch to change the modes. There is also a mono output for the non-Tape Delay modes and for consolidation of all the tape head signals. The pedal is quiet enough for me to run direct to my 8 track recorder. All in all, a cool tool. You want to talk retro? Let's talk retro. Back in the days, before digital delays and multi-FX boxes became a must, a serious guitarist's rig wasn't complete unless he had a tape-driven echo box. Analog tape. That brown-gray stuff that they used in recording studios. These temperamental beasts required a lot of maintenance. The tape would also regularly jam up and die mid-gig. But everybody put up with the hassle because of the glorious effect that the grainy, yet pleasing tape gave. And you could overdub on the thing as well, allowing you to play instant duets with yourself. Everybody went digital, but there was nothing like the old box. Akai remembers. They've figured out a way to digitally simulate a tape echo box with 4 heads. All the old sounds, none of the old hassle. Choose delay times from 10ms to 5.9 seconds, and adjust the "head gap" for delay time between heads. Switch on the HF Damp to simulate the analog delay sound. If you wish to use this pedal as a regular digital delay, no problem, just change the configuration. The 2 footswitches are multi-functional, depending on which mode you are in. One of the right switch's functions is dynamic delay control — just tap the switch twice to set the delay time. There are 4 outputs to simulate the 4 taps of the "recording heads." And last but not least, you can slip into "looping recorder" mode which allows you to do on-the-fly recording and playback up to 11.9 seconds. Bash out a chord sequence, then play over it. Shred out a scale, and then play harmony with yourself. Get the picture? Features 16-bit Digital Delay - Delay time from 0.5ms to 23.8 sec Tape Echo mode with 4 tape-head parallel outputs for amplifier or mixer inputs Simulates an analog 4-head tape echo machine Looping Recorder with overdub mode — powerful tool for solo performances Max. Recording time is 11.9 sec for loop (overdub) recording HEAD GAP adjusts the delay time between the heads Delay time is from 10ms to 5.9 sec HF Damp simulates an analog delay sound Feedback sets the feedback level for repeat times Ratio allows adjustment of wet and dry mix Dynamic delay control — sets delay time by tapping footswitch twice True Bypass Technical Description: Connectors: Input (Input impedance 500k ohm or above), Mix Out (Head 1-4: Output impedance 1k ohm or below), DC IN (9V) Controls: Level, HF Damp, Feedback, Time Coarse, Time Fine (Head Spacing), Ratio, Mode Select, Footswitchx2 Indicators: LEDx2 (Effect On/Off, Delay Time) Power Supply: Supplied AC Adapter Power Consumption: 160mA (9V) Dimensions (W x D x H): 140 x 175 x 62 mm Functions: Normal Delay Mode, Tape Echo Simulator, Looping Recorder Sampling Rate: 44.1kHz Sampling Resolution 16-bit Delay Time: Normal Delay=MAX23.8sec Tape Echo: MAX5.9sec Recording Time of Looping Recorder: MAX23.8sec (11.9sec/Overdub)