Akai Headrush E2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Aug 29, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    So, I did a search and found sparatic mention of this pedal in various delay threads. Has anyone used it? If so, how's it with bass? It looks like a fun little gadget. Is it just a phrase sampler or does it work as a standard digital delay too? Any thoughts?

Should we all be buying these before they're discontinued and selling on ebay for over $400??
  2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    It's a great little pedal - the looper was really easy to use. You can layer and erase but when you erase you go back to the original loop (not one by one). The tape delay is nice - tons of options with the 4 head adjustments, and the HF damping is cool. I got it just to check it out and ended up getting rid of it - it was slightly noisy to my ears, YMMV.
  3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sounds like alot of fun.

But, Is it worth the price tag of $249 AMS is asking? Or would the $ be better spent on a line 6 delay modeller?
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm serioulsy thinking of getting one of the Boss units.

5. spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    i rock the akai headrush. i like it alot for looping the delay is good too but wont feedback into infinity. but whatever. its a little more than other "loopinb" pedals , mainly to do with the way the tape delay is represented and the quiality of the sample engine inside , ( its the same sampling engine as there mpc samplers.) as for noise i only noticed a touch but when your playing life its not even noticble. in the studio its easily e.q'd out. if you want to hear someone kill that pedal check out ian wilson from don cabbalero. holy ****, the album "american don" is prettymuch an excercise in headrush looping on the fly.
  6. it's a delay, looper and tape delay in one unit.

The advantage of this is that you can have infinite overdubs.

Is that US$? That sounds a little high, I got mine for AUD$300 without too much haggling.

Seriously compare the user interface on both the Boss and Akai units, I borrowed a loop station from a mate and almost threw it under a truck - it was so frustrating to use.

BTW, it works just great for bass. But I love hooking up a microphone and making strange, alien-animal soundscapes! :hyper:

Oh yeah, and the tape delay outputs are fun. Feed one of the heads into another delay just for kicks, or any other effect, then mix the two back together. Simulate 4 tape heads, with one head feeding an envelope filter or something! Totally strange, totally un-usable, but a hell of a lot of fun!
  7. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    how come some people seem to prefer the E1 over the newer E2?
  8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I think I might have to get one.
  9. E2 is sure nice pedal. It has very good looper and its tape delay simulation is also high class. Normal (digital delay) is also ok but haven`t used it much, It has tap tempo and it`s true bypass. Compared to Boss it`s built like tank. ;)
    I have also digitech`s X-series digidelay but it doesn`t come even close to E2 even though Digidelay has some nice features. Cons about E2: I wish I could use expression pedal with it...
  10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    anyone? :eyebrow:

I like the programmability and options of the DL4...but is the looping function anywhere near the E2's?
  11. For a delay pedal I would choose DL4 because of programmability, option for expression pedal, so many more delay simulations than in E2. But for a looper I would choose E2. The both pedals are kind of large and have true bypass. Bought E2 used for a 100 euros (120$ or so) but I guess I wouldn`t pay much more. For a full price I would buy DL4...
  12. Hmmm, not so sure about the E2 having true bypass...
  13. I`m pretty sure it has. All those large Akai stomp boxes (deep impact, unibass, intelliphase and headrush) have true bypass.
  14. well, it'd have to be relays, because the footswitch is almost certainly just a momentary type actuator. I can't say I've heard the relay clicking, but that doesn't mean much...

still, you'd expect they'd be trumping it up on the web site, but they don't.
  15. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Don't forget to try out the Boss DD-20
  16. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i think u can get an e2 on ebay for around $200, and the e1 for a bit less.
  17. musix_08

May 18, 2009
    hey guys, i was just wondering if you could help me out. i'm thinking of buying an akai headrush e2 but i also want to buy the DL4 Line6. can i use them both while doing a live gig? is there a way i can use them both on the same song you're performing? what other pedals will i need?

thanks guys.
  18. Sure! Run the DL4 into the Headrush and then be able to use all the awesome delay models on the DL4 in your E2's loops!

(I'm considering this steup too....)
  19. FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Do both the DL4 and the E2 have tap tempo features?
  20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I bought an E2 and JamMan to let them duke it out. I still have the JamMan - the E2's short loop time and in generaly lo-fi qualities (sonically- it is seemingly well built) relegated it to the role of trippy delay in my guitar rig. it does the trippy delay thing really well though. I endd up selling mine for someting like $150 which is about where I see them here in the GFS. Ulitmately, a Carbon Copy does my delay job pretty well and it takes up a lot less real estate on a board...

the Jam Man is pick of the litter in low end loopers IMO