1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Akai Headrush or DL-4 or other delay with expression control?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bovine mind, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    I've been thinking about replacing my headrush.

ideally i'd like an analog delay with expression pedal control. the Malekko bright/dark are the only ones i've seen, and while i dig how small they are, i'm not too stoked on the price and the graphics are tacky to me. i guess there's black duct tape for that.

i love the tape settings on the headrush. i don't fully understand what's going on, but the sound on sound option and multiple outs make for some really, really easy CLEAN melodic layering. crucial in my band, where there is a very dense distorted mix of sounds going on.

my old guitarist used a DL-4 with the expression pedal. super tripped sounds were in effect. i may trade my headrush for a DL-4 after these questions are answered:

does the expression pedal control the TIME or REGEN on the DL-4? or can you set it to either? the website for the DL-4 says:

"DL4 runs in discrete stereo, both inputs and outputs, so Left stays left and Right stays right. (Loop Sampler sums signal to mono) "

does that mean i can't run a cable from one of the stereo outputs to my PA mixer to have the loops play from the PA and have my signal go from the other stereo output to my amp for cleaner looping? the headrush has multiple tape outs that i use for that, it's best feature for a bass player, as looping everything through the same set of speakers gets very muddy.

what other analog delays with expression pedal inputs are there?