Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Hexacomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wardak, Apr 4, 2002.

1. If it's anything like my Intelliphase and Tune Lock, it's a ruggedly built, quiet, highly functional piece of equipment with a clean signal path and a perfect, pop-free true bypass.

I might actually pick that up, since my Eden WT-300's internal compressor is pissing me off...

2. I take back my earlier vigorous recommendation--I'm somewhat leery of digital stompboxes after bad experiences with recent Boss stuff.

3. what was the problem with the boss stuff?
    i can understand being skeptical of ANYTHING digital in music though.

4. I'm not a digital skeptic by any means, but the DACs in pretty much every digital stompbox I've ever tried have been unacceptably noisy.

5. I got that impression about the Hexacomp from something, but now can't find anything that says it digitizes, or has DACs, or whatever...

6. Read the spec sheet PDF on the Musician's Friend page.

7. After I found the manual, I didn't expect the MF page to have better info than anywhere else.

8. -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 2:26 PM
    Subject: RE: Hexacomp

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your message. The frequency bands for the Hexacomp are as follows

Best Regards,
    AKAI Product Support

AKAI Musical Instrument Corp.
    (<http://www.akaipro.com/>)
    Phone: 817-831-9203
    Fax: 817-222-1490
    E-mail: akaipro_support_us@akaipro.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 6:12 AM
    To: Rene Howard
    Subject: Hexacomp

Can you tell me what frequencies are covered in each band of the compressor? (for example, Band 1 covers 10-100 Hz, etc...) Thank you

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    It's down to $49.99 now. Tempting...

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I was just perusing the FMR Audio website (makers of the awesome RNC), and noticed that their compressor has an all-analog singal path, but uses DACs for the controls. Perhaps the Akai has similar circuitry?

http://www.fmraudio.com/panels.html

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hi,

I bought one during the $49 MF web blowout and feel like I got a good deal.

I have no idea how much is analog and how much is digital. All compressors have noise, this one seems a bit better than average. Switching is silent. It's large and very well built.

6 eq bands is very powerful and a bit overwhelming at 1st, but I've found a sound I like and I use compressors as a "set and forget" effect. I haven't tried to make it phase.

The major limitation is that there is only one slider labelled "Compression" for each band. The other set of sliders is basically just an eq (level control for each band). People who want precise control over threshold etc. are better off w/ a crossover and rack compressor.

Happy Compressing!

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hi,

I bought one during the $49 MF web blowout and feel like I got a good deal.

I have no idea how much is analog and how much is digital. All compressors have noise, this one seems a bit better than average. Switching is silent. It's large and very well built.

6 eq bands is very powerful and a bit overwhelming at 1st, but I've found a sound I like and I use compressors as a "set and forget" effect. I haven't tried to make it phase.

The major limitation is that there is only one slider labelled "Compression" for each band. The other set of sliders is basically just an eq (level control for each band). People who want precise control over threshold etc. are better off w/ a crossover and rack compressor.

Happy Compressing!

13. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    I know this is an old topic BUT ... THIS IS THE BEST COMPRESSOR PEDAL!!

Compress just the right freq and EQ as you wish, Im buying another one just in case!! :bassist:

14. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Heh, zombie thread warning & all that...!

I used one many years ago but couldn't really get a nice 'flat' sound from it, no matter how i tweaked. Maybe you'll start the hype which builds it a cult following like the Deep Impact & it'll come back 'en vogue'...?!

15. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    hahahah these Akai pedals are awesome... you should try it again, I got mine with its box for 100 dolars a year ago, and I cant think of a better/more versatile comp.

I compress just the low signal and leave my high end intact, with the right EQing this pedal is a monster! TRUST ME!

Im still wanting to buy another...

16. ZOMBIE RE-UNDEAD THREAD ALERT!...

There's one for sale locally for $125. A search brought me here.

Can someone tell me what this pedal is supposed to do and how to use it to the fullest? I doan geddit...

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is a compressor. The reason for the slider controls is it is actually six compressors, one for each of six frequency ranges. Your signal gets split by a six-way crossover, and fed into each compressor. After compressing, the six signals are mixed back down to mono. Where a typical cheap/simple comp pedal has only two knobs, one for the amount of compression and one for output level, the Akai has those for each of the six bands.

Be warned that about half the posts I've seen about this pedal over the years have been "my Hexacomp is broken and I can't find anyone who can fix it."

18. Of course Bongo would come through. Thanks.

I forgot about your review page! I didn't see this on there though. Did I miss it?