Akai Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dreadyhead, Aug 22, 2001.

1. dreadyhead

Aug 21, 2001
    Just wondering if anyone has used any of the Akai fx pedals...... How do they sound??

I was thinking about getting an akai variwah, but I don't know how well it would perform with a bass..... got any recommendations for a good autowah??

2. I have the Akai Headrush E-1 and am learning to love it. Well designed and constructed with lots of cool features for a cheap price. For example, the E-1 has five outputs so that in tape loop/echo modes you can really control the effect. Nice touch. The box is well-made and easy to use. I would recommend the Akai stompboxes.

BP did a review of the Boss auto-wah this or last month. The Boss has a seperate input for bass or guitar.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I won an Akai Deep Impact from Akai's website and it is without doubt one of the best sounding pedals I have ever heard. To put this in context my pedalboard consists of:

Trace Elliott Dual Compressor
    Akai Deep Impact
    Fulltone Bass-Drive
    Lovetone Meatball
    Voodoo Lab Superfuzz
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
    Boss Flanger
    Dunlop 105Q Bass Crybaby
    EBS Octabass

I haven't heard any other Akai pedals but I can say without hesitation that the Deep Impact is the best bass synth pedal you can buy - it blows the Boss and EH ones clean away!

4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I use the Deep Impact as well. It's a great sounding, well constructed unit.

One of the guitarists in my band just got a Headrush, and that thing is AMAZING... He used to have their Phaser pedal too, which sounded great.
  5. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Deep Impact as well - are they one of the most popular pedals or what ??

Hey Alex - good to see ya' m8
  6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
  7. I use a Headrush. It is the most fun I've ever had stepping on something. Very well made and easy to use- lots of delay although I primarily use it to loop (12 secs).

I think the Deep Inpact is next for me.
  8. The Headrush has completely changed our band dynamic....to the point of us actually eliminating our 6-stringer! He became a fifth wheel after I started using the 24 second sampler (ok, 23.8) to fill out our band. I lay down a fat groove then play horn bits or g****r rhythms over top; presto! Our 3 piece becomes a four piece. It is tricky to line up the loops but with a little practice the results a truly rewarding. It fits easiliy into our "free-dub" style but I could see it being rather difficult in a heavily arranged band. Great box...mucho bang for buck, I'd say.