1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Akai Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dreadyhead, Aug 22, 2001.

1. dreadyhead

dreadyhead

Aug 21, 2001
    Australia
    Just wondering if anyone has used any of the Akai fx pedals...... How do they sound??

I was thinking about getting an akai variwah, but I don't know how well it would perform with a bass..... got any recommendations for a good autowah??

Thanks

2. I have the Akai Headrush E-1 and am learning to love it. Well designed and constructed with lots of cool features for a cheap price. For example, the E-1 has five outputs so that in tape loop/echo modes you can really control the effect. Nice touch. The box is well-made and easy to use. I would recommend the Akai stompboxes.

BP did a review of the Boss auto-wah this or last month. The Boss has a seperate input for bass or guitar.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I won an Akai Deep Impact from Akai's website and it is without doubt one of the best sounding pedals I have ever heard. To put this in context my pedalboard consists of:

Trace Elliott Dual Compressor
    Akai Deep Impact
    Fulltone Bass-Drive
    Lovetone Meatball
    Voodoo Lab Superfuzz
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
    Boss Flanger
    Dunlop 105Q Bass Crybaby
    EBS Octabass

I haven't heard any other Akai pedals but I can say without hesitation that the Deep Impact is the best bass synth pedal you can buy - it blows the Boss and EH ones clean away!

Alex

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I use the Deep Impact as well. It's a great sounding, well constructed unit.

One of the guitarists in my band just got a Headrush, and that thing is AMAZING... He used to have their Phaser pedal too, which sounded great.

5. =^..^=

=^..^= Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Deep Impact as well - are they one of the most popular pedals or what ??

Hey Alex - good to see ya' m8

6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
  7. I use a Headrush. It is the most fun I've ever had stepping on something. Very well made and easy to use- lots of delay although I primarily use it to loop (12 secs).

I think the Deep Inpact is next for me.

8. The Headrush has completely changed our band dynamic....to the point of us actually eliminating our 6-stringer! He became a fifth wheel after I started using the 24 second sampler (ok, 23.8) to fill out our band. I lay down a fat groove then play horn bits or g****r rhythms over top; presto! Our 3 piece becomes a four piece. It is tricky to line up the loops but with a little practice the results a truly rewarding. It fits easiliy into our "free-dub" style but I could see it being rather difficult in a heavily arranged band. Great box...mucho bang for buck, I'd say.