Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai SB-1 Deep Impact patches

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crazykiwi, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Does anyone have any SB-1 user patches they've created and are pleased with?

I'm not so fond of some of the factory patches (eg. #4,#5,#7,#8,#9) and would like to replace them with better alternatives. I've got a nice rubber band modification to patch #2 (similar to "So In Love With You") if anyone insists on swapping.

Cheers
    Steve

2. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
  3. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Dave

Thanks very much! I knew they existed somewhere but a search for Deep Impact didn't bring much up. I hope I was using the right search. :)

I'll let you know the mod for patch 2 when I've confirmed it on the pedal. It only involves changing one parameter (which I think is 'envelope').

Cheers
    Steve

4. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    No problem :)

Try doing a search for:
    deep impact
    deep impact settings
    deep impact patches
    sb-1 settings
    sb1 setting

etc.

There's probably a few more out there I missed.

--
    Dave

5. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Thanks again :)

Pappa_lazarou is my Ebay nick BTW. Nice choice of avatar there but I'll spare you the PL impersonations though.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - The "Bass Player" review of the Deep Impact mentioned they had to tweak the parameter settings for each sound to get sounds they really liked.

When I got my Deep Impact, I found I had to do the same thing. The different effects were just too rendundant.

It was just like my Korg Pandora unit when I got it --- I thought almost all the (unchangeable) "Pre-Set" factory settings suck, so, I only use the "User" settings I have figured out and customized for my preferences.

It seems as though, to me, engineers have created the factory pre-sets.......not bassists.

You have to take it upon yourself to learn how to set up really good sounding effects, IMO.

7. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Sure, but there's nothing wrong with standing on the shoulders of those who have gone before either. I'm still trying to discover what the unit is capable of.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nothing wrong at all.

All I'm trying to get across are 2 points to help you -

1. The factory presets, IME, are rendundant as far as sound goes and don't allow the unit to show you what it is really capable of.

2. Your bass and your amp settings will have a very significant effect on how the unit responds. I.E. - Very scooped EQ affects how the envelope filter will react and track your lowest notes.

9. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Points taken :)

They're certainly disappointing when compared to well known synth bass lines, don't they?

How true, I've made a number is discoveries on that front
    a) It tracks single pick up basses well, especially stingray types
    b) It tracks graphite necked basses very well.

I'm happy to report it tracks my modulus sonic hammer almost perfectly. It doesn't like my Ken Smith either because its sound is so scooped.