1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Akai UB-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Axel F, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Axel F

Axel F

Mar 2, 2005
    Loughborough, UK
    I appreciate there are a few threads about this pedal on the forum but have read through the ones the search function threw up and am still none the wiser so indulge me ;)

I play in a 3 peice rock band and it's very noticable that when the guitarist takes a solo the overall sound drops. Never heard of these Unibass pedals until about an hour ago reading this forum and it seems to be the answer. However I'm puzzled, there are numerous threads that bemoan the fact that these pedals have been discontinued and that people who have sold theirs can't get hold of another one. There is a UK site though that is selling them for £80??

http://www.theplanetofsound.co.uk/product.asp?dept%5Fid=90&sku=2942&tld=0

Are these reissues or is the pedal now manufactured again? If they're reissues are they of the same quality as the original and do they provide the same sound?

Finally, has anyone got a sound clip of the beast in action, or can anyone point me in the direction of one already posted, I've trawled through numerous threads and can't find a sample.

Any help much appreciated, Cheers

Axel

2. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    I have one of these, which I use for the exact purpose you're describing (3 piece band - sometimes I also play a 12 string, or keys with a foot pedal keyboard to fill out the sound). Although it's not perfect, it does do a decent simulation of another guitar playing power chords along with the bass.

I've found that the best way to get a convincing sound out of this pedal is to run the effect out jack to a guitar amp. This jack has a switch in it, so when you plug into the effect out, it removes the harmonized signal from the main out. That way, the bass goes to your bass amp and "guitar" goes to the guitar amp. This also makes it easier to control the level between the two signals. Adding a seperate distortion to the "guitar" helps as well (with the UB-1's distortion turned down).

£80 sounds like a decent price. That's, what, like $160 US? I paid $100 US for mine, and I think that was on clearance at Musician's Friend.

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I downloaded some samples, and I gotta say that with the octave + 5th it sounds way too much like the Ramones! They're pretty small, so PM me if you want me to email them to you :)

chris/bass/idoru

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I sold mine because I didn't like the distortion sound at all. I try my best to keep my number of pedals to a minimum so I didn't really feel like hooking another distortion stomp box up to it to see if that helped so it had to go. I find that a distortion pedal that gives you a lot of overtones works just as well and sounds better.

5. Axel F

Axel F

Mar 2, 2005
    Loughborough, UK
    Cheers for the feedback, I'm thinking if I do get one I'll probably run it through a seperate guitar amp, possible with additional distortion depending on how the onboard sounds. Chris I've PM'ed you my email address if you could send me the sound clips that'd be fantastic, or if anyone else has any clips recorded?

6. rodak

rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    I use mine (along with my Deep Impact) in a 3-piece band, and what I've found to be extremely helpful is to split the signal from your bass, running one line into your amp, and another into the pedal(s), then run the output of the pedal(s )into a plain old volume pedal. This gives you a lot more control over the amount of the effect introduced. Sometimes, you want just a bit, sometimes a lot, and stooping over to twiddle the Output Level knob just doesn't cut it. From the volume pedal, you can run straight into a 2nd amp.