Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

akai Unibass gone back MXR M80 incoming

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hi well i tried the unibass last night at loud volume with the band and its going back for a refund.

Here are my findings:

At lower volumes into amp ( with effect distortion ) it sounded good.

With band it sounded either lost or if turned up my bass sound suffered.

Tried the effect out into a di box and then PA and this sounded poor, the distortion was kinda weird sounding.

I conclude that to make this work well you need to connect the effect output to a guitar amp and then it would work well.

For me that would mean too much gear and hassle so its a great product just not for me .

I am awaiting the arrival of the MXR-M80 and i will try that out.
    My aim well its too fatten my sound, give it a lift etc etc during songs when the guitarist is playing a solo. I like the fact that the MXR has a few more features over the SABDDI as i do not need Tube emulation just a bit more lift and full grunt now and then.

Hope this helps people looking to do the same.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My experience: The MXR M-80 didn't give me any grunt. Its distortion was like a second, separated layer of "fuzz" which sat on top of my tone, not a part of it, but more like a separate layer. Very unnatural sounding to me.

Perhaps its for you, but if you're just looking for a bit more "grunt" to your tone, the BDDI is probably the better way to go.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)

And who are you returning the thing to? Just curious *cough* GAS *cough*! :)

ANDRUCA

4. Akai going back to Planet of Sound in UK. New cost £75.00 thats about $135 in your money !

I tried the SABDDI and didnt think it was that great, i like the look of the MXR as it had better eq control and that you can get a boost even without the distortion on. If its good enough for Metallica and Ozzy etc im sure it must be good.

Not a great lover of bass overdrive or distortion normally but i need a boost to fill out my sound now and again.

Open to other suggestions !!

5. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    This is true. The UB-1's onboard distortion is pretty weak.

I either go through a V-amp to a Tech 21 power engine, or into a Peavey classic 30.

Like this it can make the gods cry.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My take on the UniBass was that it was for those of us who play with only one guitar player, and occassionally need to fill in a "phantom rhythm guitar" line. I totally agree that its distortion is somewhat synthetic, though by playing around with a bit, it can get better. Personally, I just spent a good deal of time with it, and tried a bunch of different setups. To my ears, it sounded best when I left the distortion all the way off, didn't add any harmony notes, and sent the "clean" signal to my Daddy-O overdrive, where I added some more low end to it. This was fairly acceptable as a "fake guitar", but I would only use this effect in moderation. To be honest, I am also still looking for another alternative that will let me add an octave up to my bass line, but so far, the UniBass is the only thing that does the trick.

If you are just looking to add some growl or grind or warmth or overdrive or whatever to your bass signal, and are not triying to mimic a guitar part in addition to your bass, then I suggest you try out the Fulltone Bass-Drive. It is my favorite unit so far along these lines.

Hope this helps, Tom.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have and use the MXR M-80 DI+ and reviewed it here. It gives a truer distortion sound, as opposed to just an overdrive (which is what I view the Sansamp as being). It is a very agressive sound- I love it.

Ted
    <!-- / message -->

8. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I agree with Ted's review. You can get pretty close to the overdriven tube sound, but not exact. I like having two channels, I feel like I have more control without having to bend over and twiddle with knobs. Another plus is the text on the face of the M80 glows-in-the-dark. Great for those dark stages.