Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Unibass on sale at MF right now for $99

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Aug 21, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I got one of these about 2 months ago. Who needs a guitar player??:D

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Dang, you just cost me $108.95! :D

I picked up one of the Deep Impacts when they were on the stealth $99 sale and liked it so much I knew I needed a Unibass eventually. And eventually is now.

Thanks! :bassist:

Now I can't wait to try a triple-voiced mode - octave down from the Deep Impact and distorted octave up from the Unibass . . .

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No Kidding!!!
    I ran mine, on a Power Trio gig, with the effect output to a Stereo Chorus pedal with the two outputs (from the Chorus) to two separate guitar amps, one on each side of my bass rig for true stereo separation. The guitarist was just stunned at how big we sounded during his solos.

I usually just run the effect output to the chorus pedal and one guitar amp (this makes it sound much more realistic than mono through a bass rig alone), but the two amp setup was unreal.:D

5. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Isn't it cool? I do a lot of trio work, and to me it's more useful than an "octave down" pedal right now. Strange how this thing hasn't caught on more than it has. I haven't had the chance yet to split the signals out it, but that is forthcoming. Right now, I run it full range into my amp (Mesa M-2000) with a Boss VF-1 in the loop. Try it with heavy distortion and chorus in line after the Unibass...EGAD!!!!

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I tried this also. Very much like a distorted 12-string bass ala Tom Peterson (Cheap Trick) or Doug Pinnick (Kings X).

7. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yeah, I really dig that sound. I think I'm gonna have to break down and try sending the effected side out to another amp. I'll have to use my other M-2000 because I don't own a guitar amp :eek:

8. Joseph12

Joseph12

Jul 5, 2002
    I just receive mine a couple days ago, I'll need to check it out some more, initially my thougts are a bit mixed, but this from just checking it out at home, I'm hoping to get a jam together with the thing within the next week.

I initially was a bit disappointed in it, then tried it again and I can see that it -may- turn out useful, jury is still out on it though. You see, I bought the Deep Impact last month, absolutely love that pedal, and what I read about the Unibass, thought i'd really love it too.

It is a cool pedal, but I've found the effect subtle on the Unibass unless pushed to the max, then almost a bit too much at that point, might be I had unrealistic expectations for this pedal. I hope in a live setup it works better than my initial tests, we'll see.

But even though I may have had unrealistically high hopes for the Unibss, I may keep it just because it's definitely worth $100 considering the bypass, build quality and uniqueness of the pedal. There it is, I've decided, I think I'll probab ly keep it, in fact I'll go check it out again right now!

Joe B

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You know what I find strange? Why can this Uni-Bass pedal track flawlessly (even whole notes) all the way down to my low B, yet no one can seem to make an octaver pedal that doesn't start to fizzle and glitch at C (on the A string) and below?

The old Bass Whammy is the only other pedal I've found that also tracked well below C.

I would probably own an Octaver if it would track the whole range of the bass, but since I also own a Deep Impact it's probably redundant.

10. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Joseph12: It does sound better in a band setting. Try this: Distortion on full, Effect output at 12:00. Really helps fill up space.

Phat: The Digitech XBW Bass Synth/Wah WILL track down to a low B..Setting #7, with Control at 9:00 and Range at 0....Best octave divider you'll use!

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I tried that pedal in the store. Yes it does track fine, but (like my Deep Impact) it's not really, nor does it sound (i.e. unaffected bass with the lower octave simultaneously) like a true Octaver (unless I missed a preset).

12. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Try #7, which is the last preset on it. The Range control is the key, it has to be completely down to zero otherwise you'll get oscillation. The Control knob functions as the octave volume level. Hope this helps!

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Next time I'm at GC I'll check it out. (Only problem is, my pedal board is already full. I don't know where I'd put it anyway.):p