Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Unibass On Sale for $99.99 at The Fiend!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, May 28, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Thanks David - I've just placed an order with them, what a bargain!

Alex

3. just placed my order as well...
    have been looking for a deal like this for a while...

4. GRRRRRrrr I'm not in the US.

:spit:

5. Hhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeyyyyyy how'd you do that? I just looked at their international shipping FAQ and they said they didn't do it, full stop. Your profile says you're in the UK....

:confused:

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I recently placed an order with Jack Read for an Aguilar OBP-3 and a Gator Rackcase and he's based in the US. Being the helpful chap that he is, he's letting me get the Unibass shipped to him and then he's sending it with the stuff I've bought from him, at no extra cost. Now that's service!

Alex

7. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Damn. I was just about to place an order for the Fulltone, but now that this price is significantly lower, I'm confused again.

****sticks.

8. place an order for the Fulltone what exactly...? I dont think they have any effects like that one... and if they do then im probably going to be kicking myself for getting the unibass because everything ive tried from fulltone is awesome...

9. :spit:

You couldn't get another one while you're at it, could you?

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, they're very different fish. The fulltone bassdrive is a great 2 channel od/distortion pedal. The unibass is a very interesting dist pedal with octave/4th/5th harmonies very cool for filling out sound in a 3 piece. For my band situation, a 4 piece where I need occassional od/distortion, the fulltone is best.

you could definitely have/use both, but if I was given an either/or choice I'd take the fulltone.

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The Akai does NOT give you any overdrive/distortion on your original bass note/signal, just the effect note(s). If you need an overdrive/distortion, get the Fulltone.
    (BTW, I have both!:spit: :D ;) )

12. Errr... That's a joking smilie and a semi-serious comment. It's not me annoyed with you.

:)

13. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I was referring to the fulldrive. I'm looking for a nice thick distortion sound, and the reason I'm interested in this pedal is that I've got a few guitar distortions as well as a small tube amp that has a really nice sound. This could probably give me much more versatility than the bassdrive, but at the same time, if I do choose to go that route, I'm going to have to carry around another amp. Not fun.

14. after spending about 2 hours with this pedal today I must say that I am not very pleased with the sound... well actually it sounds about what I thought it would which for some reason I am dissapointed with. I guess I thought this to be a magic pedal that would cause a real guitar to vaporize and start playing itself.
    The tracking is 'okay' but it just sounds too fake for me... the one great thing was for synth effects though... use this with the moogerfooger (or any filter) and you got yourself an awesome synth bass sound.
    Im going to spend some more time tonight and hope to jam with it (unfortuently half my band is away for the summer) but if i still dont like it will be up for grabs before sending it back to musiciansfriend... it cost me 108 after shipping...

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I run the "Effects" output through a chorus pedal, then to a separate guitar amp. It makes a world of difference and is very convincing. The trios I do gigs with Love my setup with this pedal.

16. yeah i had it running through a seperate amp this evening and while it did make it sound alot better i dont think i will use it enough to justify the money or more importantly dragging around ANOTHER AMP whenever i want to use (which i cant imagine would be too often in a set)... i have been trying to limit my gear as much as possible... still torn though... it is pretty fun sometimes...

17. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    did they sell out? I cant find any there.

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    At $99 for a $300 pedal, they wouldn't last long.

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Keep in mind you don't need a large guitar amp to compete with a bass rig, but the chorus pedal is the real key. It smoothes out the mechanical rough edges of the sound, plus makes it thicker (almost like two guitars playing with you).

I, on occasion, run the stereo outputs of the chorus to two separate amps (one on each side of my bass rig). Its absolutley an unbelievable sound. You'd swear there was a whole band behind the guitar player when he solos (we even got accused of using tapes or sequencing).