Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Unibass Output to PA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Has anybody tried sending the second output which is the guitar distorted sound out to the input on a pa desk so you dont have to bring two amps along.

Also what does it sound like for beefing up the sound if the signal is only into your bass amp or do you have to have a guitar amp as well for it to sound like a bass and guitar ??

Akai Unibass are on Ebay at the moment in the UK and good price.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You don't have to have 2 amps, you can send a blended signal to one amp. It sounds good! I'm sure you could send one signal to a PA if you wanted to. You may need a DI box first.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    You can do it, but to me it sounds a little odd. The distorted sound by itself is just kinda :meh: ... I just ran mine with both signals going to my amp. Try adding mild OD and chorus after the pedal...you'll be suprised how little you'll need a guitar player! :D

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Ok, I'm in a 2 piece band and basically use a Unibass to replace guitar in some 'rock' sections of tunes.

Blended signal just sounds dreadful IMO, simply due to poor on-board distorted sound and loses separation through bass speakers. It comes alive though if you use a guitar amp (which you don't want to) or alternatively put it through a better distortion box. I use a behringer V-amp with mine which sounds fantastic but it's not worth the £90 unless you use it to the extent that I do!

If you send it straight to the desk then it'll sound very peculiar unless the engineer has a POD/sansamp.

5. How about if i put the effected output into a di pedal and then to the pa mixer would that sound anything like a guitar playing ??

Would i have to go into a seperate overdrive pedal and then di pedal and then desk to get it to sound usable live ??

How does it sound just going into the bass amp, more concerned about filling out the sound against just emulating a second guitar on top of my bass, although that would be nice if my bass rig could handle the single input sound

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I hope some more conversation goes-on here. I've been fascinated with the idea of this Unibass since I first read about it on the Akai site.

I play for a three-piece rock band, so of course the Uni' was MADE for me. Lately I've been using my Boss ODB-3 a little for this purpose - heavy distortion blended way down behind the straight bass (blend control at 8:30-9:00) - it really makes a profitable difference when the guitar goes to lead. The 'guit-sound' is still pretty quacky if I play single, low bass notes; if I play 1-5 'power chords' the guit-part sounds GREAT, but then of course the bass-part can not only sound mushy, but with this power-chording, I'm not really 'playing bass' anymore - I'm being a guitarist (I think all this 'guitar playing' is starting to get to me already: now when I walk past I mirror I think "I am unbelievably handsome!").. sigh. Another problem with this is that I've been more-and-more using the ODB set with low-low gain for a light cranked-up-tube-amp sound, and using it in this other capacity takes that away from me, so even if the answer were running twin-odb's, I'm still looking at getting another pedal anyway.

...So I'm gathering from what I'm reading here so far that one of you says it's good as-is through the bass amp; one says it's OK, but really shines with added OD and chorus ; and one says you pretty much have to run the guit-output seperate and effected (..so we're talking buying a Unibase, distortion, chorus, a little guitar amp and another mic, cable and stand - AND using another board channel?? That's like $400 minimum!!).

Do any of you have any recordings of this beast??

Thanks,

Joe

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Sound quality depends on your application. If I was in a 2 piece band I'd probably want to it to go to a guitar amp too.

Basically, it is a very limited pitch shifter w/ excellent tracking and an ok distortion. There are other pitch shifter/harmonizers out there. At the new price, I'd say it was the best in it's class. At the used prices I'm seeing now that it's discontinued ($250+) I'd say it still sounds very good, but there are other options. My choice right now is a digitech bhm4 rack unit. It does all kinds of harmonies, but I only use octave down and simultaneous octave up and down. It does not have distortion, I use my V-Bass for that.

8. For me i would like it to expand my bass rig sound to give the impression that there is more than bass guitar playing.

I do not want to lug a second amp around, however i can go into the PA mixer via a Behringer Ultra DI100

Does the unibass alter your tone while off as it would be no good as i hate effects that ruin your original sound when off.

Any comments, i think that the octave up may help to fill out the sound from the bass amp as sometimes i use the Sub Harmoniser ( octave down ) on my Ashdown head to fill out the sound when the guitar player solos.

The Akai web site has some sound clips and they sound really good, but i bet the separate effected single is recorded into a second amp etc. still sounds good worth a listen

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    DIS-CON-FREAKIN-TINUED?!!

Great. Just great.

Oy.

Joe

10. These are for sale on Ebay (uk ) so i think they must be back in production as i have one coming tomorrow.

Look on ebay under bass pedals worldwide search and Planet of sound in Birmingham UK have them at £79 approx

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh! - that would be much better. I'd best look into it right away, huh?

Thanks,

Joe

12. Try this to see that they are on sale agaIn in the UK so you guys must have them over in the US.

UNIBASS

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Holy Moley! They sure do sound good!
    Octave + fifth:
    http://www.akaipro.co.jp/jp/datalib/demo/mp3/effector/UB1_5th.MP3
    Octave + forth:
    http://www.akaipro.co.jp/jp/datalib/demo/mp3/effector/UB1_4th.MP3
    Killer unison riff:
    http://www.akaipro.co.jp/jp/datalib/demo/mp3/effector/UB1_Riff.MP3

Egads. Unless there's something I'm missing here, any three-piece rock bassist would be nuts NOT to have one! Even if you have to pick up a little practice amp to mic-up or something, that would potentially make any of us appreciably more valuable to our rock bands - especially three-piece bands. Even for a two-guitar band: Now the guitarists can do harmony-leads! Time to raise the price for a show.

Joe

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't think we do. There are none on US ebay right now, and the last one went for $215. The auction you linked won't ship outside Europe. I'm pretty sure Akai discontinued that whole line of pedals. Maybe they started up again or that seller has some New Old Stock.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's still on the Akai site (?).

Joe

16. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    You know I think I was a little too quick to write off the blended signal, I tried it through a 1x15" combo with the horn real low :oops: , went back and tried it through my drummers Mackie SRM450 (active full range bi-amped PA speaker) and thus conclude that I was talking somewhat out of my hat. Whilst your amp/cab might limit the sound and limit reproduction of both signals as clear as possible, I suspect that like with the Mackie, FOH will still sound just fine.

Also, I must also mention that the inbuilt distortion is more just like an overdrive - not much grit to it, but will suffice for 90% of applications.

Sorry for contradicting myself! :bag: I was thinking purely for 'maximum' performance of only my own requirements!

17. Just got my Unibass and i like it so far.On its own the upper harmonic is ok but add the overdrive and the upper 5th effect and it sounds like bass and guitar playing together and this is through my Ampeg cab.

Not sure how it will sound live but its got real potential, more of a useful tool than a bass effect, bands with just one guitar and bass will love this as it does work. Great thing is they even supply the 9vdc power unit to go with it.

I will try it also with the effect going to the mixer as well but even just with the bass amp it sounds good.

The octave on its own is ok, nothing special, and the solo sound is a bit weak but put it together with the bass and add the upper 5th effect and it rocks

18. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX

I am not sold. I play in a three piece and those samples sound pretty cheesy to me. The "guitar" sounds like the guitar on my proteus synth. I would take a lot more convincing to shell out the dough. For a 100 bucks maybe.