Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Unibass sound clips?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 12, 2003.

1. i am thinking of pruchasing this pedal because i really want something to do octave up harmonies. Does anyone have any soundclips since no where around here carries the pedal...

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. why didnt anyone tell me about this site... i had the same idea to do this a while back but never got around to it... i am definetly going to record and submit some stuff soon.

oh and the akai sounding pretty damn good (especially the second sample) were you using a different distortion or is that the one thats built in?

4. Jazz Ad

Zipper Bass -> Unibass -> PC soundcard.
    No preamp, no other pedal.

The distortion is built in.
    You can also add a high 5th or a low 4th to the octave.
    Your original sound is not affected at all.
    You can even send the whole effect sound to a guitar amp.

It's a one trick poney, but no other pedal can do the same type of effect.
    I love mine.

5. Can it do the upper octave, clean?

It doesn't specifically say so on the site, but it does say that you can do the octave, then add distortion.....

:confused:

6. Jazz Ad

It's an high octaver at first. So yes, it can produce a clean hi octave, one of the best I've ever heard for that matter.

7. Whoa, thanks Jazz Ad, you've just helped me decide to buy one of those....

Those clips sounded sooo good!

:cool:

8. Namaah

Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    The unibass is one Sweet toy. Holy crap is this cool. Im playin in a 4 piece punk/ska band and both guitarists are jealous. its a great feeling. As for autio samples, Akai has some on the site http://www.akaipro.com/jp/global/download/dloadfs.html But for some reason i cant link directly to the UB1 so u have to click on "Audio Demos" on the left. there are 4 samples on the bottom.

9. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I put a sansamp GT-2 on the guitar output of mine and it sounds absolutely HUGE! But then I don't have a guitarist;)

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    First, this the best tracking octave up, down, sideways, whatever, device for bass I have ever tried, and I've owned a Bass Whammy, Digitech Bass Harmony Machine, EBS and Boss Octavers. None tracked as well as this. This thing tracks down to low A (I have a HipShot on my B string) flawlessly.

Besides the built in distortion for the Octave/guitar effect it also has a Tone control for it.

What I've done is run the effect out to a Stereo Chorus pedal and then to a separate guitar amp. This sounds great and very convincing as a "phantom" guitar.

One night, for giggles, I ran the 2 stereo outputs of the Chorus pedal to 2 guitar amps, one to each side of my bass rig. This sound was so huge it was just sick, especially when I hit the switch for the added 5th for some power chord action. :bassist: :D :bassist:

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm a bit confused by the controls on the Unibass. There appears to be, Input Volume, Tone, Distortion, Noise Gate, Output Volume. I presume one sets the input volume so the correct LEDs light and the unit triggers correctly; the tone control affects the highs on the synthesized note( and I presume it's after the distortion circuit); the noise gate cuts off the synthesized note as quickly or slowly as you choose...

But what about the distortion and output volume? As you turn up the distortion, does that increase the volume of the synthesized note? And does the output volume affect the volume of the clean signal, or the synthesized signal, or both? Is there any way to vary the balance of clean bass to synthezised signal?

Cheers,

Alex

12. Jazz Ad

Unless you completely cut it off with the appropriated switch to only keep the 'guitar' signal, your original bass sound remains unnafected by the UB-1.
    All settings (input gain, tone, dist, hi5th, lo4th noise gate and output level) only affect the octave sound.

There is no need to balance between clean and effected sound since the effected sound is added over your clean sound, it does not replace it.

13. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Whoa....this pedal sounds very cool. Could open up a lot of doors. Although to make the most of it, you'd need to get some more gear (if you don't already have it).

14. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Brilliant!!! So I could go totally crazy and play my bass through the Deep Impact (keeping the mix at about 30% synth, 70% clean) and then into the Unibass set at octave & 5th, which would sound like a bass, keyboard and guitar all playing in unison! Scary...

Alex

15. Namaah

Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    Pretty much... I had mine set on 5ths with a chorus and a flanger on after the UB1 and i had a pipe organ sound coming out. Dont know how exactally i did it. All i know is it was one of the most wicked sounds that ive made. The other thing that ive done with my UB1 is something that I saw Tom Morello (RATM, Audioslave guitarist) do, is when he pulls the cable out of the guitar and mashes the tip against the pickups :eek: (like in the RATM song Testify, you can actually see him do it in the live video at Connan O'Brian). Well i tried the same thing. When the UB1 is on it gives me enough "distortion" that i could pull this trick off and it sounds really damn cool if you can pull it off (note: its also done with a wah so you can "bend the note")

16. Jazz Ad

You mean, like this ?
    [​IMG]

17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    ......except, unless you use the "effect" out to separate the guitar sound first (before the Deep Impact) it's going to be affected by the Deep Impact pedal and you will lose the "guitar" sound.

I use a separate small guitar amp for it (effect output) and run it into it's own chorus pedal. The sound is worlds better than running it in mono/mixed to just your bass amp.

18. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If the Deep Impact comes first then the synth and the harmonised note and the bass sound should all come out of the Unibass.

People have mentioned that you can either run the harmonised signal to a separate amp using the effect out or use the mixed out to send both wet and dry to your bass amp. What happens if you want to send dry to one amp and wet to another - does plugging something into the effect out make the mixed out into a dry out?

Cheers,

Alex

19. Jazz Ad

Yes.

20. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd