Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Unibass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jambassist, Oct 21, 2004.

1. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    hey all, i got a chance to buy an akai unibass for $50 including a wall wart. thing is like brand new. i've played around with this thing and it's pretty cool. i'm just wondering how useful it really is. i play mostly punk and i can see where it might be "interesting" for certain songs. however $50 is still money i'm wondering could be better spent somewhere elseanyone got any thoughts on this. i did a search, but really didn't find the info i was looking for. thanks in advance for the opinions

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, if you do a search you'll find lots of helpful discussion on it.

It's definitely useful in the right scenarios, i.e. in a three piece when you want to thicken the sound when the guitarist is soloing.

And if you got one for $50 in good condition, you can most likely sell it for twice that used since they've been discontinued.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Is this Akai's Octaver?

Ted

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If not more, I sold one a year or so ago for $200.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    man if i were you i'd pick that up right away....

if not, any chance in me getting in onthe deal?? :ninja:

7. You'll never find a pedal of that quality again for 50 bucks. I use mine all the time in several different situations. While I am not in a punk band I do work in a power trio doing Hendrix, Cream,ZZ Top and other songs in that style and I use mine to fill things out during solos, thicken up riff lines-often freeing the gtr player to do other things and also to kick up my solos and use varying amount of overdrive and tone settings. I also use in in a jazz trio setting to kick up my solos with the distortion off and tone turned down. I even used on a riff I played for a rap recording because the gtr player could not get with me tight enough. It is the one effect I use the most. Adding a gtr amp and running it out that way will give you the most flexibility. :hyper:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

Agreed. I only recently acquired one after one of my bands "lost" our rhythm guitar player. ;) Like any effect, I try not to use it too much, but it does a respectable job of filling in a rhythm guitar line, and I even use it solo'd (no bass output) when a song calls for two guitar parts and no bass. Yes, to an extent you can tell it's something synthetic, but all in all, it's fairly convincing. At any rate, it is certainly more convenient than an additional guitar player, and it drinks less, to boot! :p

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thomann Germany is selling Akai Unibass pedals for 69 Euros now and this thread convinced me to order one. :cool:

10. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i would buy one right now, if it wasn't so big. i mean, can't they make these pedals a bit smaller? :meh: