Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Unibass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Feb 16, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys, I've been considering getting a pedal for doing some soloing like a guitar ( now I know what your thinking right now "bass should stick to bass solos, thats not whats it meant for, etc." ,but technically the bass guitar was emant to jsut be an easier more playable/movable bass (wasnt it???) so even palying a 5stringer is technically not what it is meant for, so w/e its what I wanna do)anyways... could I use the unibass pedal with its built in distortion stuff to, to do some guitar solos?

Thanks guys,

~JB~

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes. You can set it for the upper octave only. Plus it tracks better than any Harmonizer, Octaver, or Synth pedal out there (except maybe the V-Bass). All the way from low B to the (nearly 2nd octave) high B on a C string.

3. It works very well but you need to put the effected sound into a guitar amp as it sounds a bit wierd if not.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I've heard that Akai's Deep Impact tracks better than anything else. Excluding the Uni of course

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ha ha 3/4 of that post was trying to rationalize the post itself. :smug:

i don't care what you do with your bass and sorry i have know nothing about the unibass.

......ha ha and my post was 4/3 useless

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    As far as true Bass Synth pedals go (i.e. Boss SYB-3, SYB-5, Electro Harmonics Bass Synth, etc.), not the filters (DOD, etc.), the Deep Impact does have the best tracking.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i do have a deep impact........it tracks very well

8. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I tried it, and it was fun for about an hour. I just could not get a good usable guitar tone out of it. Perhaps through a guitar am, but I just did not like it and I sent it back!

9. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Once again this has got me thinking "I GOTTA get one of those!" Yeah - it's a bit for the cheesier-side of rock arrangements, but that thing can open up a world of hair metal songs for three-piece bands, for one thing. I can also see how it'd be useful to use only the clean octave up alone - maybe mixed way-back - in with the dry bass sound, just to enhance the striaght bass tone.

..And the tracking is great! It's well demonstrated in Rowka's '#2' sample. He's picking some of that in a pretty fun, casual kind of way, and that 'hair metal ghost guitar' never glitches! (sounds more like a Les Paul than a strat, huh? Hm.. maybe an explorer - yeah...)

I'm pretty sure I could find a use for one!

They're DISCONTINUED, ya say? D'oah!!

Joe

11. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Casual. That's a kind way of saying I wasn't paying any attention at all to consistancy of tempo. ;)

Both samples are clean bass with "guitar effect" going through a V-Amp, then both signals direct to a recorder.
    #1 uses a clean american guitar amp with some delay.
    #2 uses a dirty British guitar amp with distortion, some compression and a bit of reverb.

BTW, I've got a spare I'm looking to trade for a Deep Impact.

12. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I also heard the same of the EBS micro synth

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    No, no, no.

I've just heard that with some of these DSP-type harmonizers and bass synths and whatnot, that you have to summon-up some kind of zen mind control or something, and play hyper-clean, or they either delay or hesitate before the effect comes through, or they glitch all over the place!

That sounded like a real, live, in-the-hairspray hair metal guitarist playing along. "Pour some suger on MEAH-EAHHH!" - can't you just picture it?

Joe

14. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Not only can I picture it, I'm living it. My new band is a full-up-in-costume-and-wigs 80's hair metal band.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh yeah!

(it's sort of a secret fantasy of mine to be in a hair metal band, but don't tell anyone)

"Talk dirty to me...
    Dah-di-du-dah Dah-di-du-dah Dah-di-du-DAH!"

Joe

(edit) My wife told me she saw an ad that she knows I'd like - It's for some kind of hair tonic or hair replacment or something. Some guy's talking that if he got some of those special verility pills, then maybe his social life would be better. Suddenly a hair metal guy with a guitar bursts into the scene and says "IT'S THE HAIR, MAN!". I gotta see it - any of you guys seen that one?

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Do you guys knwo fo any other pedals that go one octave up???

I'm thinking not only would that kinda pedal be nice for solos, but it would be nice for imitating a eight strign bass to right?

~JB~

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    What I did when I was doing a Rock Trio with it was,
    not only did I run the effect/guitar output to a separate little amp, but I ran it (effect/guitar output only) through a Stereo Chorus pedal first. This made it sound WORLDS better. Plus, on special occasions, I ran the Stereo outputs of the Chorus pedal to TWO separate amps (one on each side of my bass rig). Talk about massive. I even had other Guitarists and Bassists looking for the "fourth guy".

18. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Did i say EBS micro synth ? Shoot me. :crying:

I meant the EH micro synth. :meh:

19. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The EH POG (poly octave generator) can go up one or two octaves. Down an octave. And it can create the fifth of any of those octave... (except for the lower octave.)
    Do a search, I know there was a informative thread on it a couple months ago.
    Though, I don't think you can send the upper octaves and original sound through two different outputs.

20. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK