Akai Vari-Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by camerondye, May 4, 2001.

1. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Does anybody own one of these and use it on Bass, they sell for about $120 and have a regular wah, an auto-wah, and a swell wah. It would be an awesome deal if it worked well for bass. Tell us anything you can about these that you can.
  2. 31 hz

31 hz

Dec 29, 2000
    Man, I just wish I could find the AKAI *music gear* website - everytime I search I only get their home audio stuff. I saw Richard Bona Play w/ a unit called the HeadRUSH - a delay/loop. WOWOWOW. I wanna find out more, but don't ever seem to see their stuff around. Sorry I can't input for you!

31 hz
  3. 31 hz

31 hz

Dec 29, 2000
    Wow, that's service

heh, you been busy between here and bunnybass, bassheavy!

31 hz
  4. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    I bought one of these about half a year ago. The wide selection of different wah's is very good, however there is a problem...

Every time you switch it on, there is a drop in your signal. Not very significant, but it is noticeable enough. Also, sometimes the wah frequency can be tricky to set. You will either get a really sharp sweep, or one so subtle that you cant even hear it.

Like i said earler, the selection of wah types is good, but the unit is mediocre for 120$. It is built like a tank though :) If you are still interested in buying one, you can get one at www.musiciansfriend.com
  5. I bought one off of eBay and it appears that the various reviewers on Harmony Central don't know what they're talking about.

The signal drops because it sucks out all of the low end. I want to say that I can tolerate that on fretless, but I really can't.

Ah, well. I'll sell it to my guitarist, make my $40 back, and be done with it.
  6. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I tried it out at a Mars a while back and thought it was pretty bad. The signal dropped A LOT and the
    low end disappeared. I fiddled with it for a while and couldn't get much of a wah sound out (probably
    because the volume just wasn't there!)