Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AKG c 419 B-lock LIVE

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by darksail, Aug 14, 2004.

1. darksail

darksail

Aug 13, 2004
    Firenze, Italy
    I hope to be able to explain all clearly with my English...

I had a "basic" old Fishman pickup and I used it in a lot of live situations. No problems of feedB but bad sound...
    Now a friend of mine borrowed me an AKG c 419 B-lock Microph. "Just try and you'll see" he told me. ;)

This thing don't appears to be born for a Bass. But I tried at home and It sounds Great. It has a little optional described as "Battery operated phantom power supply and mixer for one or two microphones". This sincerely seems a bit a toy and I'm thinking to buy a Pre Amp. (something of cheap)
    I currently "do my sound" using a Gallien K. MB150S112.
    But I'm full of troubles on how organize the things and if this Microph + preamp + Gallien K. can be a good idea.
    And then which cheap pre Amp can be the right one?

I'm looking for some Advices...
    Thanks in advance ,
    Emi.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Your English is perfectly clear, and better than the average native speaker in Brooklyn, perhaps.

I'd recommend that you get it out on some gigs before you get too invested.

3. darksail

darksail

Aug 13, 2004
    Firenze, Italy
    I had a couple of gigs and that Mic sounds OK. Really realistic sound (What I am looking for is just the sound of my bass, not more) It is just a bit "open." but I have to work a bit better on my GK. No feedBack, But i was playing without drums... you know.
    I'd like to buy a preamp. (cheap one), I've never used one and all the world advise me to do it.
    I'm looking beetween a K&K (Pure Preamp and 2Ch) and the Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum.
    Any suggest?

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Where are you placing the mic? Have you tried other locations? The position of the capsule makes a big difference. I've always felt that mics tend to lose a little of the "thump" and centeredness of the acoustic sound of a live bass. It kind of makes sense that pickups have this "immediacy" of attack - they are all direct signal and no air, but the sound suffers for it. In my experience, mics give you what pickups don't by adding that air into the amplified sound, but since they're amplifing a mix of signal and air, the "signal" gets softened a little, losing its punch. I find I like to blend a mic signal with a pickup with as little of the pickup as it takes to put that "pop" into the sound. What you are calling "open" above, I've always called "hollow". Good luck with your experiments.

5. darksail

darksail

Aug 13, 2004
    Firenze, Italy
    Where are you placing the mic? Have you tried other locations?

Yes , I've tried to move the mic , the best position for me is just in front of the upper "F-hole" , on the side of the G string. (I've read on this forum that this is a typical position...)

The position of the capsule makes a big difference. I've always felt that mics tend to lose a little of the "thump" and centeredness of the acoustic sound of a live bass. It kind of makes sense that pickups have this "immediacy" of attack - they are all direct signal and no air, but the sound suffers for it. In my experience, mics give you what pickups don't by adding that air into the amplified sound, but since they're amplifing a mix of signal and air, the "signal" gets softened a little, losing its punch. I find I like to blend a mic signal with a pickup with as little of the pickup as it takes to put that "pop" into the sound. What you are calling "open" above, I've always called "hollow".

I've visited you pages. Good sound you have! And great fingers , of course ;)
    My instrument looks similar to your. Carved anonymus Czech bass , same shape and colour. It is big and has a strong sound. (nothing of superb,of course...)
    I'll try to blend this my Mic with my old Fishman pick-up to find a bit of "attack". But I'm starting to think that I can do it with my GallienK and the preamp that I'm going to buy...
    I've seen that you use the K&K 2 ch. too.
    The problem that I have here is that I can't try that things before to buy. I should move of 500Km to do it and I don't want to do it concering the easy cost of that Pre-Amps-
    Did you maybe try the Fishman preamp?...

Good luck with your experiments.

:)

[/QUOTE]

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you want to blend the signal from the microphone and the pickup, you should think about purchasing a Fishman acoustic bass blender. It will allow you to mix the microphone and pickup together before going into the amp. It is also a preamp.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    When I use the little K&K mic on my old Czech bass, that's where I put it. Now that I have the AMT on a new bass, it sounds better right over the table and pointing straight down. If you have time, try experimenting with somewhere around the area between the bridge feet and see what happens just for fun.

Thanks for the positive review! The sound on most of the clips is about a 50/50 mix of pickup and mic. I never had much luck with GK amps, but some people swear by them. A far as preamps, I like the K&K preamp made for blending the Trinity Mic with a pickup. Whatever you do, make sure you know where your phantom power is coming from before you make up your mind. Some preamps will power some mics and not others, and it would be a good idea to make sure you try to find out that they'll work before slapping down the cash. Good luck. :)